Replacing pneumatic tank with bladder tank

Users who are viewing this thread

Keesa

Reaction score
Yeah you close a valve on the line going to the tank. If the pressure drops to nothing the rubber bleeder popped out. If the pressure stays up then it is a brass bleeder. That is the only way I know to tell without looking at it or asking the pump man which kind he uses.
If I pop the rubber bleeder out I have to pull the well pipe anyways yes? Thanks for all the help btw.

Keesa

Reaction score
Yeah you close a valve on the line going to the tank. If the pressure drops to nothing the rubber bleeder popped out. If the pressure stays up then it is a brass bleeder. That is the only way I know to tell without looking at it or asking the pump man which kind he uses.
If I run with the bleeder popped out what happens? Air in the lines? Or short cycle the pump?

Reach4

Reaction score
If I pop the rubber bleeder out I have to pull the well pipe anyways yes?
To amplify on what Valveman is saying, if you remove or disable the check valve before the pressure tank, the leakage out of the bleeder may be negligible. So in that case, you could leave the bleeder in place until you are pulling the pump at some point.

The reason is that the bleeder would be designed to only open if the pressure in the pipe at that point is below 10 psi or some other pressure. The pressure tank, together with the pump, would keep the pressure well above 10 PSI. They don't always use a bleeder valve, and sometimes just put in a small hole. Or there could be a bleeder valve, but it does not hold sufficiently. The pump would cycle. Once every 10 minutes? Every hour? It depends on your pressure tank and how much leakage there is from the bleeder.

Keesa

Reaction score
To amplify on what Valveman is saying, if you remove or disable the check valve before the pressure tank, the leakage out of the bleeder may be negligible. So in that case, you could leave the bleeder in place until you are pulling the pump at some point.

The reason is that the bleeder would be designed to only open if the pressure in the pipe at that point is below 10 psi or some other pressure. The pressure tank, together with the pump, would keep the pressure well above 10 PSI. They don't always use a bleeder valve, and sometimes just put in a small hole. Or there could be a bleeder valve, but it does not hold sufficiently. The pump would cycle. Once every 10 minutes? Every hour? It depends on your pressure tank and how much leakage there is from the bleeder.
So if I remove the snifter valve near the old tank, while replacing the old tank I should be fine??? Pump going on every 10 minutes doesn't sound very good for the pump....

Reach4

Reaction score
So if I remove the snifter valve near the old tank, while replacing the old tank I should be fine??? Pump going on every 10 minutes doesn't sound very good for the pump....
The point is that you would not know unless you tried.

You don't have to remove the snifter valve. You could just put on a sealed valve cap that is made for car wheels.

Keesa

Reaction score
The point is that you would not know unless you tried.

You don't have to remove the snifter valve. You could just put on a sealed valve cap that is made for car wheels.
Ya, but if I can't get the well pipe up and it doesn't work I'm in big trouble...

Reach4

Reaction score
If the pressure stayed up for an extended period, the snifter would never open. I suspect that even the new brass bleeder valves are designed to leak a tiny bit.

I can imagine a little test hose. One end goes to the snifter valve. The other end goes to a pressurized water valve. I envision a small flow from the pressure side, through the hose, and through the snifter valve. If the pump does not cycle significantly, I would think that indicates the bleeder valve is holding sufficiently.

Keesa

Reaction score
If the pressure stayed up for an extended period, the snifter would never open. I suspect that even the new brass bleeder valves are designed to leak a tiny bit.

I can imagine a little test hose. One end goes to the snifter valve. The other end goes to a pressurized water valve. I envision a small flow from the pressure side, through the hose, and through the snifter valve. If the pump does not cycle significantly, I would think that indicates the bleeder valve is holding sufficiently.
LOL I have no idea how this helps me.

Reach4

Reaction score
LOL I have no idea how this helps me.
It was more a technical discussion with Valveman or others who might want to discuss on the topic. It could potentially develop into something that could help you.

Don't let that stop you from trying to pull the pipe as described in https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/cant-pull-up-well-pump.72984/ . If you could pull that pipe and hold it at the right level, you could maybe put a screw in place blocking the hole.

Why are you replacing the existing tank? Because it looks like it could fail, or because the function is not good?

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Any idea how deep the pump is or what kind of pipe it is hanging on?
I've yet to see this question answered, for which the answer may determine whether or not you should attempt to pull it by hand. You also cannot go by what your neighbor said or did. Two of my neighbors have wells that are hundreds of feet deeper than mine.

Also, what is the static water level? The portion of pipe that is above the water is heavier than what is under water.

Keesa

Reaction score
It was more a technical discussion with Valveman or others who might want to discuss on the topic. It could potentially develop into something that could help you.

Don't let that stop you from trying to pull the pipe as described in https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/cant-pull-up-well-pump.72984/ . If you could pull that pipe and hold it at the right level, you could maybe put a screw in place blocking the hole.

Why are you replacing the existing tank? Because it looks like it could fail, or because the function is not good?
It is an old pneumatic tank and is very rusted and starting to leak a bit. Supplier up here said we can only get them in industrial sizes, very expensive, hence the change to the newer style.

Keesa

Reaction score
I've yet to see this question answered, for which the answer may determine whether or not you should attempt to pull it by hand. You also cannot go by what your neighbor said or did. Two of my neighbors have wells that are hundreds of feet deeper than mine.

Also, what is the static water level? The portion of pipe that is above the water is heavier than what is under water.
I can see the water about 15 feet down.

Reach4

Reaction score
It is an old pneumatic tank and is very rusted and starting to leak a bit. Supplier up here said we can only get them in industrial sizes, very expensive, hence the change to the newer style.
They are available, some of them are in [rustproof] fiberglass.

Keesa

Reaction score
Sorry long time since Ive responded, tackling the tank today, does this trick only work if I have a CSV? Thanks!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks