Replacing plumbing at well supply tank

Users who are viewing this thread

JON

Reaction score
The galvanized fitting thats on the supply line from the well needs replacing.Looking over options I see there are brass and plastic (dark gray)types that look identical.Whats my best option?Id also like to know if using pvc to replace the galvanized pipes is ok.I plan on replacing the pressure gauge and relay at the same time.It all looks possible with all the parts available in pvc .Also should there be a check valve between the well supply and tank? thanks so much.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Assuming you have a typical system, then there is a check valve somewhere - it may be in the pump. If it works now, not sure what adding a second one would do for you. I'm not a pro, don't have any idea on the other items. My guess is that pvc may not be a good idea, although it might work great. I don't like the idea of the plastic under pressure, but it may be capable of it. Obviously, some plastics work, take pex for example, but not sure if it is right for this application.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
JON said:
The galvanized fitting thats on the supply line from the well needs replacing.Looking over options I see there are brass and plastic (dark gray)types that look identical.Whats my best option?Id also like to know if using pvc to replace the galvanized pipes is ok.I plan on replacing the pressure gauge and relay at the same time.It all looks possible with all the parts available in pvc .Also should there be a check valve between the well supply and tank? thanks so much.

The dark gray is sch 80 PVC and is a very good choice and based on price, the best for where you are installing it. No dope, Teflon tape only. There's no need for brass. Your tubing is not PVC, it is PE (polyethylene); assuming it uses hose clamps on insert/barbed fittings. If you have galvanized from the well, it should all be replaced with PE or sch 40 PVC.

Gary
Quality Water Associates

JON

Reaction score
Gary

Is it then ok to use all pvc where galvanized was used previously ie from line from well to the drain, shutoff and pressure switch?

Deb

Plumber
Reaction score
Deb

You can buy a brass tee that goes into the pressure tank. It comes pretapped with 2 1/2" outlets for your pressure relief valve and your drain and 2 1/4" outlets for your pressure switch and your pressure gauge. These are the onl things I use when plumbing a pressure tank. It makes a nice clean installation with minimal connections. They have them at Home Depot. I always use brass nipples.
Deb
The Pipewench

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
JON said:
Is it then ok to use all pvc where galvanized was used previously ie from line from well to the drain, shutoff and pressure switch?

No. PVC can only be used on cold water and not within 10' of a water heater. CPVC can be used for both. Plumbers say PVC isn't allowed inside a building. Here we use it in basements to the well pressure tank and to water treatment equipment next to the tank; I have no idea if you're allowed the same in your area or not.

Gary
Quality Water Associates

JON

Reaction score
Now thatI decided to use a tee

the pressure switch electrical is to short .I guess a junction box on the wall and a new lead will do.What is the best pipe to use from the nipple to the inlet on the tee?It presently uses galvanized and I want to be rid of that.. shouls I also use unions on each end?thanks again jion

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
Use plastic, like sch 40 or PE tubing and sch 80 PVC fittings.

I think unions are a a waste of time and money. If you do the job right you do't need them and even a new same brand tank is unlikely to fit exactly s oyou end up cutting the plumbing anyway, so what use them to begin with?

Gary
Quality Water Associates

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks