Replacing Pitless Adapter seal

Users who are viewing this thread

Dennis6969

Reaction score
Hello, Im new to the forum and hoping someone can help me out. I have an old pitless adapter on my well, its from around 1975 or so I would guess. I am looking to replace the seal. After some searching I think I have a Cambpell that uses an L-1 Leather seal. It looks just like what I have from the pics online. Anyone know if this is a common item? I cant seem to find one to order. I found a site online (Milby) but it seems you have to be a business to order it. Also, before I found out what the correct seal was I tried replacing it with an o-ring and accidently dropped it down the well. Anyone know if anything detrimental could come out of that? Thanks again in advance.

Dennis6969

Reaction score
I read that one. That is where I got the information about the leather seal from. I tried to order from the same place (Milby) but it seems you need a business account to place the order online. I am going to try calling today. I’m still pissed about the o ring. It wasn’t quite the right size (should have been smaller) so I tried to use some vasoline to hold it in just to get a temp seal till I could find the right gasket, and it must have fallen out before the connection was made. I found that out quick when I turned the breaker back on and my well was a geyser. Lol. Hopefully it got caught on one of the 20 plastic wire holders attached to my well line. If not I guess it’s down there forever.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
The o-ring won't hurt anything like dropping something solid would. An o-ring usually won't work in those pitless's that use a leather instead. Some businesses won't sell to anyone but an installer. But the leather won't be expensive and you maybe able to get a local pump man to pick one up or order it for you.

Dennis6969

Reaction score
Hey thanks for the replies guys, so I called up MILBY and they said they are wholesale distributor only but would sell me the leather gasket due to it being a small cheap item. So I ordered 3 of them. 1 for me to put in now, and 1 for each of my sons to replace when I’m dead. Lol. Only 11 bucks plus 11 dollars shipping. I guess the o ring won’t deteriorate anyway, just wish I didn’t put the vasoline on it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks