Replacing pipe and submrsible pump

Users who are viewing this thread

Anna fon Eynik

Reaction score
Good day to all, we are replacing our water well tank submersible pump. We want to install poly pi[e with the new submersible pump. It is going to be 1-1/4". Can someone refer us to the good resource where to buy poly pipe and pumps not too expensive? Also, what are specifications for the the poly pipe have to be? Thanks

Reach4

Reaction score
Good day to all, we are replacing our water well tank submersible pump.
Are you saying that this pump will go into a ground level tank? Or are you saying that you intend to replace the submersible pump that is down the well, and get a new pressure tank too?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
1" poly is fine for up to about 15 GPM, and is much easier to handle when setting the pump. Use 160# or higher rated poly and long barb fittings with two hose clamps each. Be sure to tape over the hose clamps to keep them from rusting out.

Anna fon Eynik

Reaction score
Thank you for your advice! We have an old submersible pump, which is doesn't hold the pressure and reconnecting all of the time. We want to put the solar system 24v. Did someone use such engines for water system? Still thinking. This is the well which was set in in 1993 and then after years, no one lived here for 10 years. So it is very old. We want to know how to replace it right and really want to make a poly pipe. We are not sure about the depth, too. We had an old pipe which is about 40ft - probably it is a depth of the well, maybe more.

Last edited:

Anna fon Eynik

Reaction score
What characteristics shall the poly pipe have? If it is around 40ft - how much PSI and anything else? I've opened one resource and there are 2 types - 160psi and 250psi

Anna fon Eynik

Reaction score
Also, what type of the pump is the best for such depth - submersible or jet pump? Also how to check GPM - we have a 2000ft house and 7 people in it. And garden outside. How much do we need?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
160# poly is fine. If you have grid power available and/or use an inverter to get regular AC power, you can use a standard and much less expensive submersible pump, which is what I would use in a 40' well. With a solar pump you will need extra batteries to have water when the sun isn't shinning, and even then batteries won't last long when trying to irrigate.

You will have to guess at the pump size and install one to test the well production. Probably something like a 3/4HP, 10 GPM series submersible pump will do. Using solar power I would get at least an 86 gallon size pressure tank (20 gallons of water draw). With grid power or enough batteries for a solar system I would use a PK1A kit with a 10 gallon size tank.

Reach4

Reaction score
What characteristics shall the poly pipe have? If it is around 40ft - how much PSI and anything else? I've opened one resource and there are 2 types - 160psi and 250psi
You want SIDR polyethylene pipe. ASTM D2239 . The various thickness pipes have the same ID for the same nominal size. That way they fit on the same barbs.

You will want to stick the ends into boiling water to soften the pipe to help you get the pipe on the barbs. If you use long barbs, use 3 worm gear clamps with the worms alternating onto the opposite sides of the pipe.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks