Replacing Pedestal Sink with Vanity

Users who are viewing this thread

RMO194

Reaction score
I am removing a pedestal sink and installing a vanity in its place. The drain and the p-trap are not lining up with the old plumbing (a little more than an inch apart). I know not to use flex pipe. The existing pipes are galvanized; I am assuming it best to start over with PVC.

I was hoping for recommendations and part names for a clean install for a DIYer.

Thanks in advance!
Ryan

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
I am removing a pedestal sink and installing a vanity in its place. The drain and the p-trap are not lining up with the old plumbing (a little more than an inch apart). I know not to use flex pipe. The existing pipes are galvanized; I am assuming it best to start over with PVC.

I was hoping for recommendations and part names for a clean install for a DIYer.

Thanks in advance!
Ryan
Take a picture of your problem. Hard to know what you mean by an inch off.

Reach4

Reaction score
index.php

How about a photo? You want to put a trap adapter at the wall, and use a slip joint p-trap to connect to the tailpiece of the sink.

The p-trap can be like A or B in the photo -- whatever fits best.

Those are easier if there is a couple of inch or so offset, but may work fine. If you use a 1-1/4 p-trap it is more likely to fit.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
RE: a photo -- I am getting the error, 'The uploaded file is too large for the server to process'. Is this common?
Yes. In a photo editing software you need to resize the photo so that the largest dimension is 800 pixels or less.

Since there are so many configurations of vanities with either drawers or just cabinets or shelves, its hard to come up with a one sized fits all scenario.

However since you had a pedestal, and their installs are usually pretty tight you should be able to get the swing of a p-trap to hit the center of the drain. Reach4 has a picture that indicates the swing that traps are capable.

Reach4

Reaction score
Can you unscrew that chrome piece at the wall, and if you do that, what do you have?

Do you have a 1-1/2 inch pipe thread (about 1.900 inch OD)?

RMO194

Reaction score
Can you unscrew that chrome piece at the wall, and if you do that, what do you have?

Do you have a 1-1/2 inch pipe thread (about 1.900 inch OD)?
Yes, I just checked this evening, and the chrome trap simply unscrews. From what I've read, the waste trap is 1 1/2, while the p-trap is 1 1/4, so an adapter is necessary.

Reach4

Reaction score
Based on the photo, I think I would screw a washer and slip joint nut to the end of the 1.5 inch pipe coming out of the wall.
You could use https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbil...with-Rubber-Reducing-Washers-C2698C/205154062 for plastic nut and washer.
https://www.supplyhouse.com/Sioux-Chief-985-6-1-1-2-Die-Cast-Slip-Nuts-Chrome-Plated is a chrome plated metal nut. Still needs a washer.

Alternatively, you could screw FIP trap adapter onto the thread at the wall if that plastic nut and washer doesn't work for some reason.

Cut one of these in half.
white-the-plumber-s-choice-polypropylene-fittings-22212p-64_100.jpg

That one is plastic, but they also sell chrome.
Stick the cut end into the nut at the wall, and point the uncut end toward the trap. Then run a trap into that. I have shown plastic pieces, but they are all available in chrome too.

So at some point you use a reducing washer to adapt 1-1/4 to 1-1/2. That can be done at the input to the 1-1/2 inch trap.

Last edited:

RMO194

Reaction score
Based on the photo, I think I would screw a washer and slip joint nut to the end of the 1.5 inch pipe coming out of the wall.
You could use https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbil...with-Rubber-Reducing-Washers-C2698C/205154062 for plastic nut and washer.
https://www.supplyhouse.com/Sioux-Chief-985-6-1-1-2-Die-Cast-Slip-Nuts-Chrome-Plated is a chrome plated metal nut. Still needs a washer.

Alternatively, you could screw FIP trap adapter onto the thread at the wall if that plastic nut and washer doesn't work for some reason.

Cut one of these in half.
white-the-plumber-s-choice-polypropylene-fittings-22212p-64_100.jpg

That one is plastic, but they also sell chrome.
Stick the cut end into the nut at the wall, and point the uncut end toward the trap. Then run a trap into that. I have shown plastic pieces, but they are all available in chrome too.

So at some point you use a reducing washer to adapt 1-1/4 to 1-1/2. That can be done at the input to the 1-1/2 inch trap.

This is great, Reach4! I assume I will also need this (I am going with PVC, not chrome)?

Reach4

Reaction score
This is great, Reach4! I assume I will also need this (I am going with PVC, not chrome)?

I presumed a threaded connection at the wall. Then screwing something to that-- ideally a slip joint nut.

So nothing I envision would involve pvc cement. The white plastic on the slip joint parts is polypropylene. No glue. Just cut to length, fit together, and tighten the nuts to clamp washers around the actual 1.5 inch OD tubes.

Slip joint gives easy adjustablity. It also comes apart for cleaning if the need for that ever comes up.

short_drain.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
FWIW, the UPC only allows one slip joint fitting after the trap, which would be the trap adapter.

So if you are subject to the UPC (I'm unclear on the Kansas City plumbing code), then the proper solution would be to add a threaded or solvent weld 45 at the wall, then a trap adapter that can accept the trap outlet directly.

Cheers, Wayne

Reach4

Reaction score
FWIW, the UPC only allows one slip joint fitting after the trap, which would be the trap adapter.
Interesting. So no slip joint 45 at the wall if UPC, and it looks like KC itself uses UPC. Most of MO is IPC.

I looked for a 1.5 NPT street 45 in brass, bronze, or plastic, and did not find.

If no better solution found, maybe use the old LA form trap, and jog the tailpiece.

Or just use 2 slip joints before the trap, and expect nobody will care.

Last edited:

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I think reach 4 PVC tubular offset be fine . might be and probably is a code issue . so yea you'll have a slip joint there. got tons of them on double and triple kitchen sinks . I wouldn't prefer that but don't consider it overly shoddy under the circumstances.

What's wrong with screwing a 1 1/2 durham 45 on there?

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
I looked for a 1.5 NPT street 45 in brass, bronze, or plastic, and did not find.
There's been some discussion in the past that while a 1-1/2" MIP end and a 1-1/2" trap adapter have the same threads, the radial cross section on the trap adapter is somewhat different, more of a bevel inner edge for a slip joint washer to seal to. I.e. a 1-1/2" MIP trap adapter is a little different from a 1-1/2" nipple.

So it would probably be better to use a 1-1/2" FIP x FIP 45 degree elbow and a 1-1/2" MIP trap adapter, anyway.

Cheers, Wayne

Reach4

Reaction score

RMO194

Reaction score
Ugh, feeling a little overwhelmed with all the recent replies and new abbreviations (MIP, FIP, etc.).

I am actually in a Kansas City suburb (Independence, MO), if that makes a difference. In light of the new information, has the recommended parts changed from Reach4's original suggestion?

Thanks for your patience and help everyone!
Ryan

Reach4

Reaction score
Last edited:

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
its a simple fix unless I missed something . screw a 22 or 45 on ! same as I said before as did Wayne, I don't think I ever used or saw a plastic one but they probably make one for drainage . I was talking Durham but same thing easy as heck.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks