Replacing part of a radiator return advice

Users who are viewing this thread

Bbillcee

Reaction score
hi guys

So I am preparing to get a mud job for a tile floor and decided I should open a cement patch that was covering a radiator return pipe...good thing I did!!!! t\This thing is heavy rotted ...prolly leaking already ...so I'm gonna either have the section replaced from the union to where it connects to the other return or do it myself....I think I can handle it no problem....I'm thinking to use copper as I have two lengths here that have been in the garage for a bunch of years...they are type "L" . would it be ok to use this? I can also use black steel as I have threader and stuff but I have seen copper used before and I think it would be easier. My other question is where it goes under the door...should I just continue it straight and cement it in there? I think that was a bad job using those elbows....

IMG_9741.JPG
IMG_9740.JPG

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Any type of metal you embed in concrete will rot. Copper would be better than black.

Whatever size pipe that is, use one size larger hepex. You could also find some kind of wrap if you insist on going back with metal.

Fitter30

Reaction score
How old is that pipe 30 years? Replace with schedule 80 pipe 1k fittings or stainless tubing and hydraulic compression fittings(many brands a double compression fitting). Stainless pipe needs special dies to thread.
plumbing supply houses probably won't have the pipe and fitting but a supply house for mechanical contractors will.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks