Replacing outside hose

Users who are viewing this thread

Denon

Reaction score
I have our outdoor spigot that is starting to leak. House is 20 years old and have replaced the washer a few times over the years. We have very hard water and the last time I have changed it, it is still leaking a small amount.

I feel like I should replace it. I have two questions. First it is soldered on in the basement. Is it better to solder on a female inside and screw the new one on or solder it again. I feel like turning it on and off could create a leak by twisting it?

Second I bought a woodford model 17 but it looks different than this one. I am a car buff and tend to leave a hose out longer than I should for washing Chicago salt on cars is horrible). I have not had a pipe burst but I always leave the hose open so the water runs out. Is that ok or does the picture shown have something special that helps drain it without disconnecting the hose. When replacing it I want to be sure I am putting something back on that is similar and performs the same function
20190726_215438.jpg

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
If you are not into soldering use one of these sharkbites fitting. All spigots have one thing in common, its a 1/2" or 3/4" connection at the pipe. Most are 1/2" but now with PEX so common there are an assortment of connections that can be made.

Carefully measuring you can cut the copper pipe inside the home and use this sharkbite fitting. one end you push on the copper and the other the frost proof spigot threads onto the fitting. Sharkbite fittings alway move and turn so you don't have to worry about not getting enough thread at the FIP.

This is a straight fitting
https://www.homedepot.com/p/SharkBi...x-FIP-Brass-Adapter-Fitting-U072LFA/202270500

This is a 90 degree fitting
https://www.homedepot.com/p/SharkBi...ass-90-Degree-Elbow-Fitting-U308LFA/202270518

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks