Replacing Outdoor Faucet exploded inside from cold

Users who are viewing this thread

Michael J Falk

Reaction score
Going to post some photos below this that probably sums up the problem better than I can. I just want to know where to start. Do I need to cut the pipe? Can I just try to grab hold of that textured area and unscrew it from the pipe and screw a new one in? Thanks in advance!

IMG_1472.jpg
IMG_1474.jpg
IMG_1473.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
  1. use a longer one this time. That means to cut the pipe to accommodate the longer one.
  2. consider adding insulation inside of your sill plate.
24638lf-3.jpg
Sharkbite is available in lengths up to 18 inches (24638LF)

. That would be easiest. Make sure you secure the outside connection, because the pipe will not be adding torque resistance.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You faucet looks to be soldered on. You're looking at a new frostfree faucet and some pipe and fittings.
You could use Sharkbites there to connect to the old pipe and some tape for the threaded mail adapter. I would think a Sharkbite male adapter or what ever the new hosebib needs and a coupling. Almost never does the new faucet match the length of the old one anyway.

And next time remember to remove the hoses in Winter.

Michael J Falk

Reaction score
OK, thank you for the replies and help! So I cut it and I see people using a plastic pipe with the sharkbite videos I looked up on Youtube. Is that OK?

Reach4

Reaction score
OK, thank you for the replies and help! So I cut it and I see people using a plastic pipe with the sharkbite videos I looked up on Youtube. Is that OK?
You have copper now. You could put the Sharkbite onto copper. No need to convert to plastic.

Cut, and clean up the end. Getting the cut length right will need care. I like the Ridgid 101 "tubing cutter" for copper. There are other good alternatives.

woodford-sillcocks-19cm-4-c3_145.jpg

Alternatively, the Woodford 19CM (comes in various lengths) can be hooked up with compression. It is probably easier to get the pipe length right that way.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It isn't clear, but even if you do remove the hose, if the valve's pipe does not slope down towards the outside, it won't drain, and it could happen again.

Woodford does have a few designs that will not require you to remove the hose.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks