Replacing old trap—help needed

Users who are viewing this thread

isonychia

Reaction score
I am trying to help someone replace an old leaking trap.
I have done these before but mostly with newer slip joint parts for sinks.
I have not dismantled it yet, so I'm not sure what I will need to replace it.

Can anyone help take a guess as to how this trap is assembled by this photo?

I assume there is no slip joint here. Is the trap screwed together with the nut and the 90 degree elbow?

This trap receives a 1/2" copper pipe from the second floor. I'm not sure what is draining into it. I can only assume the dish washer. Although the dishwasher it is not being used (it's broken) but there was still water in the trap.
Thanks for any help.

Attachments

• image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    84.3 KB · Views: 240

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
There is a swivel there that will unthread. With copper pipes, you can solder up new parts, or convert over the plastic with the right couplings. They make shielded couplings with different sizing for the material you fitting up.
If there is water in the trap, it's being used for something. You could run hot water one fixture at a time and then hand check it to narrow down where it's coming from.

Reach4

Reaction score
Where is the leak?
I have not dismantled it yet, so I'm not sure what I will need to replace it.
If the pipe attracts a magnet, it would be galvanized steel. Otherwise it is probably PVC or copper. You could probably feel the difference.

This trap receives a 1/2" copper pipe from the second floor. I'm not sure what is draining into it. I can only assume the dish washer. Although the dishwasher it is not being used (it's broken) but there was still water in the trap.
Drain from a humidifier, a dehumidifier, air conditioner condenser, water softener would be candidates.

Last edited:

isonychia

Reaction score
There is a swivel there that will unthread. With copper pipes, you can solder up new parts, or convert over the plastic with the right couplings. They make shielded couplings with different sizing for the material you fitting up.
If there is water in the trap, it's being used for something. You could run hot water one fixture at a time and then hand check it to narrow down where it's coming from.

So the elbow has threads on it and that nut threads UP onto the elbow?

isonychia

Reaction score
Where is the leak?

If the pipe attracts a magnet, it would be galvanized steel. Otherwise it is probably PVC or copper. You could probably feel the difference.

Drain from a humidifier, a dehumidifier, air conditioner condenser, water softener would be candidates.

The leak is at the bottom of the trap. The whole pipe at the bottom is rusted through.
No AC (central or window) in the house and the water heater and furnace are in the basement and they have their own drain lines.

Reach4

Reaction score
"Rust" would imply steel, but if copper, we could call it corrosion -- a more inclusive term.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-1-1-2-in-Bullnose-Joint-Plastic-J-Bend-C9654/205153915[/QUOTE]
Maybe. Not the other one.
IMG_1.jpg

So I think Terry is suggesting you unscrew the nut at D. If that nut is captive to C, discard the nut on the high side of the trap, and connect the trap to your metal nut. If the nut is not captive to C, use the low side of the trap.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks