Replacing oil tank

Users who are viewing this thread

JohnCT

Still learning..slowly
Reaction score
I'm replacing my 275 gallon oil tank because it's just starting to "sweat" beads of oil on its belly, no real drips yet. Since black iron pipe and I don't get along, I was thinking about cutting the pipe in the middle and using a compression dresser coupler on the fill pipe (the vent already has one when the oil company overfilled the tank and flooded the whistle where they had to replace it). The new tank has the same height and spacing as the old one, so a coupler would certainly make this a lot easier.

Is a coupler sufficient, or perhaps is a union better? With a union, I'd have to have two new pieces of pipe cut and threaded at my local plumbing supply.

Any advice appreciated.

John

JohnCT

Still learning..slowly
Reaction score
One more question (and I read the sticky but didn't see this specifically addressed), when connecting the firomatic valve to the bottom of the tank, is pipe dope alone sufficient for the oil tank or should I do teflon tape or both tape and dope? Thanks.

John

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks