Replacing my TOTO ST706 tank

Users who are viewing this thread

Pran

Reaction score
so my toilet tank got a crack this past weekend. On researching a little I realized toto has discontinued this model. Was hoping to see if any of the existing lines have a tank where the bolts are 7 inch apart and uses the same flush technique/dimensions. I am trying to avoid replacing the whole unit as there is nothing wrong with the bowl.
Thanks

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
I'm not a big fan of the Carusoe (CST714, which uses the ST706 tank). It looks like the Drake, but has only a 2" flush valve, which hinders its performance. It was their old entry-level toilet. The Drake has a 3" flush valve, which makes for a better flush.

On the other hand, the bowl has a decent trapway, and it was a better performer than similar 1.6gpf toilets with 2" flush valves.

All that said, just Google ST706. You will see that the tanks are widely-available for about $99. It doesn't sound like you are unhappy with your toilet as you use it in your home, and, like I say, it was a good performer for its time when compared to the crap that Kohler and AS were selling as low-flow toilets back then. You already have the base, and it's mounted on the floor already, so it's a relatively-straightforward tank-mounting job to fix the problem. Look at the sticky thread at the top of the Toilet Forum for Jamie Love's advice on how to mount a tank yourself.

However, given that you can get a whole new Entrada elongated toilet (the current Toto value leader) for somewhere around $180, if you shop around, it's something to consider. Or a whole new Glacier Bay $99 elongated single-flush toilet (which appears to be going away in many HD stores), which is a decent-if-not-spectacular toilet.

Decisions, decisions. Hope this information helps.

Last edited:

Pran

Reaction score
thanks WJ. I did see a couple new st706 online. But none are in the color I need (cotton white) and under $100. Hence I was trying to see if any other models/brands have the same design with 2" flush valve.
If not then I will have to go for a new unit.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reach4

Reaction score
I don't know, but when you replace the tank, are you going to have to add more pieces that would be coming with a new toilet? Bolts, washers, seals, flush valve, or will those be included? Ala carte, those would add up.

On the other hand, which ever way you go, a new supply line is often a good idea. And while you are there, a nice quarter turn ball stop valve would be nice.

Pran

Reaction score
@Reach4 i would think new tanks come with the flush valve, bolts etc. I may need a new supply line but that should be it.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
@Reach4 i would think new tanks come with the flush valve, bolts etc. I may need a new supply line but that should be it.

Correct. The tank will come with exactly what it would come with in a tank/bowl pairing. Because that's how Toto sells its toilets: one box for the tank, one box for the bowl.

See if you can find a yellow pages somewhere. Look under "plumbing supply". Call around to every one of the ones in there and ask them if they have, or can obtain, a Toto ST706 tank in Color #1, and that you're willing to pay cash for it today if they have it (so they know you're not just a tire-kicker), and what would their best price be (it's flexible, always). Some will be idiots, some will be nice, some will be helpful, some will be asses, some will be expensive, some will offer a very good price. You would be surprised what's out there in the distribution network and in the back of the storage shed at these places. You will also be surprised at the range of customer service at these places, from people you want to go down there just to punch to people who go out of their way for you. If several say that they have it, call a minimum of five to get the best price (or just strike while the iron is hot if the price is okay). If the first 10 say they don't have it/can't get it, just keep trying. Your tank is out there.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks