Replacing motor leads on 2 wire pump

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog. Water is life.' started by TJanak, Aug 6, 2018.

1. TJanak

TJanak Member

20180731_182735.jpg 20180704_132924.jpg 20180731_182728.jpg

Are the motor leads replaceable on what appears to be a 2 wire Red Jacket pump? It was stuck when pulled so well co pulled the wires out but from what I know the pump was running before it was pulled. Hate to just junk the pump if it could be repaired.

Thanks,
    Travis

2. Boycedrilling

Boycedrilling In the Trades

The motor leads are replaceable on the major Pump brands. Red jacket might be a problem though. In the 1980’s Red jacket was an independent company and manufactured their own motors. The first dealer I worked for sold red jacket pumps. Your 1/2 hp motor was made in 1998. By then Red jacket was owned by Marley. It went through two or three ownerships since. Along the way they quit manufacturing their own motor. I doubt if you could still get a replacement plug to fit that motor. Don’t don’t think there is a NEMA standard for the plug like there is for the motor end flange and spline.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. valveman

valveman Cary Austin Staff Member

Pump Controls Technician
    I don't see the regular nut on the packing gland. I don't think those leads are replaceable.

5. TJanak

TJanak Member

That's kind of what I figured looking at the pump. Also a Google search for Red Jacket or Marley is fairly inconclusive, so I figured they'd been bought and sold several times. I may tear it apart and learn. Nothing lost at this point.

Thanks

6. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

Share a picture or two of the teardown on this thread, if you do that.