Replacing main water line in Arkansas

Users who are viewing this thread

kcackler

Reaction score
Our house currently has a galvanized main water line coming in before connecting to the copper inside the house. As you can imagine, we have very little water pressure or flow. We are looking to replace the galvanized line this weekend but are unsure of the specifics of what we should use. The previous owners removed the pressure regulator in an attempt to increase the pressure inside the house, so we currently have: Water meter-->1' of PVC-->79ft galvanized-->Copper

This is an 80 ft straight run. We have the standard fixtures found in a 2 bathroom house...2 hose bibs, 2 full baths (Toilet, tub, sink), kitchen sink, dishwasher, hot water heater, and washing machine.

So my questions are:

1. Which pipe material should we use for this job?
2. What size of pipe should we use?
3. How will that pipe connect on the meter end (To our new pressure regulator)?
4. How will that pipe connect inside the house on our copper?
5. Does your pipe of choice need to be run through a conduit of any sort?

We are not new to home plumbing, but this will be our largest project to-date. As soon as we know exactly what materials we should be using, I'll feel much more comfortable about the project.

Thank you.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
You think this is a weekend job? How deep is the pipe buried. Have you started diggin yet! Since you have a PVC tap off the meter already, the most straightforward choice would be 1" PVC. Easy connection to whatever size is at your meter, and pretty straigtforward at the other end as well. There is already some kind of union or threaded connector there. So will need no special tools, and not have to solder to the copper.

kcackler

Reaction score
I know it's a weekend job. The pipe is currently buried about 12 inches (at the meter end, anyway) but we're going to take it down to 18. It's a straight run in non-rocky soil. We've had nonstop rain for 2 weeks now, and the winter weather hasn't hit yet so nothing is frozen. This week is supposed to be warm with no rain, so that gives the ground a bit of time to dry out so we're not working in total mud. And I'm renting a ditch witch.

If, for some reason, we can't finish the plumbing this weekend, we will at least have the trench dug and can temporarily just run a hose straight off the meter to our hose bib.

About the PVC - I really hate the idea of multiple lengths tied together with couplers. I understand the bond made with primer and cement is incredibly strong, but can it withstand being driven over at 18 inches?

Thanks for your help.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks