Replacing main shut-off valve

Users who are viewing this thread

Joe Ring

Reaction score
I'm looking to replace the main shut-off valve in my home with a ball valve as the existing fitting does not properly shut off the water flow. The existing shut-off valve appears to be a threaded female-female fitting. I've found lots of guides on how to replace a male-male fitting but not this particular application. I've attached a picture for reference. I'm not exactly sure how to start removing this fitting.
Any help is much appreciated!

Attachments

• pipe.jpg
    pipe.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 203

Joe Ring

Reaction score
The picture doesn't show it but the fitting is between the meter and the floor making soldering difficult but not impossible. I take it that attempting to melt the solder holding the lower pipe in place isn't going to work?

Reach4

Reaction score
I
The picture doesn't show it but the fitting is between the meter and the floor making soldering difficult but not impossible. I take it that attempting to melt the solder holding the lower pipe in place isn't going to work?
I can understand not trying to solder there. You need total dryness to solder. Maybe show a wider picture that includes floor, meter and valve. To avoid a Sharkbite and use all threaded fittings, I think you would need a union.

Joe Ring

Reaction score
Cutting one of the pipes then soldering in a union makes sense. Or did you mean a different kind of union? Thanks again.

Reach4

Reaction score
There are also valves that have compression fittings, and some that have unions on one or both sides.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
1 cut copper 2unscrew valve 3 screw new valve in 4screw in a male adapter with a pre soldered short piece of pipe 5 cut existing copper to mate up with new piece 6 solder a sweat coupling on your done note: other variations possible this just one way to do it

Joe Ring

Reaction score
I was going to write in this space that everything went well and to thank everyone but as it turns out the municipal valve is also broken so that needs to be fixed before I can do my repair. Thanks anyways!

Reach4

Reaction score
I was going to write in this space that everything went well and to thank everyone but as it turns out the municipal valve is also broken so that needs to be fixed before I can do my repair. Thanks anyways!
Nice that this did not come up in January.

Joe Ring

Reaction score
Ends up that it was NOT the valve that was broken. When they last laid the sidewalk (40+ years ago) they covered the shut off valve to my house which is right beside the shut off valve for my neighbours. In other words they had been shutting off my neighbours water when they came out. Managed to get the new valve in with just a little bit of cursing. Thanks to everyone who helped out!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks