Replacing Kitchen Faucet

Users who are viewing this thread

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Should I use something more than the Plastic Faucet base seal that came with the new Faucet, Or do I need to add something so that splashed water does not get under it. IE plumbers putty or something ?

Thanks for all of the help.

DonL

Reaction score
Should I use something more than the Plastic Faucet base seal that came with the new Faucet, Or do I need to add something so that splashed water does not get under it. IE plumbers putty or something ?

Thanks for all of the help.

So no response means, stupid question ?

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
So no response means, stupid question ?
Don, personally, I've never used anything on top of the sink deck or countertop except that gasket that comes with the faucet, and never had any leaks from that area. Do the instructions with the faucet mention anything? As you know, I'm no plumbing pro, so if you want an answer from a pro, be patient. It's only 11 hours since you asked that question, not 11 days:p

Maybe the pros are all out on clogged drain calls:confused::eek:

Anyway, dja get 'er done? The faucet, that is.:eek:

DonL

Reaction score
It does not not say anything about it in the instructions. Guess the plastic gasket will be OK. The old one looks like rubber.

But then all it says you need to install it is a Flat head screwdriver, Phillips head screwdriver, open-end wrench, and goggles.

I don't get what the Phillips head screwdriver would be used for when installing this Faucet. Maybe take it apart when it don't work ?

I was hoping to get it installed today.

Thank You.

Have a Lucky Friday the 13th.

DonL

Reaction score
Well it looks like I am going to have to take the sink out to do the job right.

I would like to be able to get at what I am working with and not just stabbing in the dark.

Not sure how I will set the sink up so that I can work on it after I get it out.

Looks like a two person job to pull it.

Now I can see why Plumbers have to charge the price that they do. They work hard for it.

To bad my money tree is slow growing this year.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I would leave the sink in place.
Pick up an LED light for working under the sink.
Use the plastic seal for under the body of the faucet; that's all you need.

If you have a hard time removing the old faucet nuts, you can pick up a "basin wrench"

And yes........Removal of an old faucet can be a little trying at times. Sometimes you have to saw or drill them out. Other times, it's can be easy. Ya just never know.

basin-wrench-ridgid.jpg

Last edited:

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Well it looks like I am going to have to take the sink out to do the job right.

I would like to be able to get at what I am working with and not just stabbing in the dark.

Not sure how I will set the sink up so that I can work on it after I get it out.

Looks like a two person job to pull it.

Now I can see why Plumbers have to charge the price that they do. They work hard for it.

To bad my money tree is slow growing this year.

But you paid for the permit though? LOL:rolleyes:;)

My town requires copper tubing water supplys and not the stainless braided hoses. I pay them taxes and they want to tell me how to connect my faucet. Friggin' Gestapo. Lots of faucets these days come with flex lines from the factory.

DonL

Reaction score
I would leave the sink in place.
Pick up an LED light for working under the sink.
Use the plastic seal for under the body of the faucet; that's all you need.

If you have a hard time removing the old faucet nuts, you can pick up a "basin wrench"

And yes........Removal of an old faucet can be a little trying at times. Sometimes you have to saw or drill them out. Other times, it's can be easy. Ya just never know.

I guess I do not have the right tool for the job. "basin wrench"

I have a oil filter wrench. lol

Do you service this area ?

Thanks Terry.

Last edited:

DonL

Reaction score
But you paid for the permit though? LOL:rolleyes:;)

My town requires copper tubing water supplys and not the stainless braided hoses. I pay them taxes and they want to tell me how to connect my faucet. Friggin' Gestapo. Lots of faucets these days come with flex lines from the factory.

Wow, I did forget to get a permit.

That could be my problem.

I pay my taxes and if someone comes to check, I have brass and lead for them. Copper Jacket tho.

Reaction score
I use my mini-mag lite mounted in a backpacking head band (which I've used packing out on the trail at night in bad weather) for working under sinks, in attics, under vehicles, etc. Converted it to LED a few years ago. Safety glasses can be helpful too if crust is falling from the old fittings.

I've been using plumber's putty to seal the plastic gaskets, although I don't know if it is necessary. I put a thin-rolled ribbon in the empty spaces, tighten, and wipe away excess if any. If I put in too much putty it causes problems sealing it which I learned the hard way years ago. I had some trouble sealing faucets to some old basins without the putty. Haven't had any leaky ones in years.

I need to get rid of a failing Delta in a bathroom soon.

DonL

Reaction score
I have plenty of lights, no problem there. I also have long arms and long skinning fingers.

I just have no room, to get a wrench. I could go buy one, but I have the tools to just take it out.

I think I will Pull the sink out, and prey for no leaks on my drains.

What would a plumber charge to change a Faucet ? Or would they even do it since I already have the Faucet.

What is normal labor charge for a Faucet Change job ?

DonL

Reaction score
Someone needs to come up with a self installing Faucet.

They would be rich...

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I have plenty of lights, no problem there. I also have long arms and long skinning fingers.

I just have no room, to get a wrench. I could go buy one, but I have the tools to just take it out.

I think I will Pull the sink out, and prey for no leaks on my drains.

What would a plumber charge to change a Faucet ? Or would they even do it since I already have the Faucet.

What is normal labor charge for a Faucet Change job ?

And then there are some faucets (this one is in one of my other bathrooms) that are ridiculously easy to change. sorry I didn't clean up the sink and faucet for these photos:eek:

Attachments

• IMG_0156.jpg
    IMG_0156.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 258
  • IMG_0158.jpg
    IMG_0158.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 272

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; What is normal labor charge for a Faucet Change job ?

I have had faucets that took a half hour to change them, but I have also had those which take several hours, so there is NO "normal labor charge". It costs what it costs usually depending on how hard it is to remove the old one.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; Most valve leaks around the stem can be fixed by tightening the packing gland/bonnet nut. However at some stage after enough cycles or age the packing is so compressed that it won't seal anymore

You would have a hard time tightening a Moen faucet's packing gland.

DonL

Reaction score
Don, now you've given Terry a swelled head:p

LOL

I wish my install was as easy as yours.

I was getting ready to pull the sink out in a little while.

If I do it right the first time maybe this one will last.

The old delta has lasted over 30 years. But it was better to replace than repair, I think.

Have a great day.

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
LOL

I wish my install was as easy as yours.

I was getting ready to pull the sink out in a little while.

If I do it right the first time maybe this one will last.

The old delta has lasted over 30 years. But it was better to replace than repair, I think.

Have a great day.

Well if it makes you feel any better, the faucet installation in my bathroom pedestal sink was not easy at all.

Good luck with your kitchen sink

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks