Replacing Kenmore softener with Fleck 5600 SXT based system...

Users who are viewing this thread

IanS

Reaction score
Approximately how much extra lateral space is required for the two tanks vs the all-in-one Kenmore? Also, is there much difference in height for making the plumbing connections? Having had problems with the Kenmore plastic bypass valve, I assume I'd be better to opt for a stainless bypass valve for the new system. Anything else to consider before placing the order? Thanks!

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
I have 2 10x54 tanks (GAC and softener media) side by side. I had plenty of room, so didn't make any attempt to save space, and they occupy a space about 30" wide by 24" deep (the plumbing extends out a ways behind the tanks). You can reduce the depth substantially by using the right-angle adapter off the back of the valves (see https://terrylove.com/forums/showthread.php?50119-Fleck-7000-Installation-Questions).

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
The plastic bypass on the Fleck is not like the Plastic onn on the Kenmore, you can not compare them. Can you compare a Huffy to a Cannondale? The plastic bypass is fine on the Fleck. The stainless and the plastic will both last for many years, both are easy to replace or rebuild. The brine tank can be located 10-20 feet away without any concern on the Fleck units if you need to relocate the brine tank due to space consideration.

Here are some pictures of the 90 degree adapters, and the bypasses for the 5600. The page says 5800, they use the same bypass parts.
http://www.impactwaterproducts.com/#!5800accessoriesjpg/zoom/c21u3/image10mc

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks