Replacing gas hot water question

Users who are viewing this thread

stardog

Reporter
Reaction score
Our 40 gallon gas hot water heater sprung an internal leak last night. The unit is well over 10 years old so repair is likely not an option at this point. I want to replace it with a 30-40 gallon tank since it's an older home and only two of us live there.

I know pricing questions are sort of taboo on these forums, but my question is this. I've priced new units at Home Depot and Lowe's and can purchase a new one that will serve our purpose in the low $400.00 range. From anyone's past experience, either amateur or professional, would buying the unit myself, then having it professionally installed, be less expensive than just calling a reputable plumbing service, buying a unit from them, and have them install it?

I am thinking if I purchased a unit from a plumbing service I am sure the price would be jacked up so they could make additional profit, rather than buying a comparable unit on my own at a big box store at a cheaper price. I am not against making a profit, but with our financial circumstances I am trying to find the least expensive route to go.

The unit is on the first floor, easily accessible to replace, but I have no idea what reasonable replacement/instalation charges would be so I can be sure I am not being over-charged for something.

Thanks for anyone's advice.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I ask homeowners to take a picture with their cell phones of the entire installation. Often off of that I can shoot them a price.
I always supply the water heater and handle the recycling of the old one. I install using new supplies and make sure it's earthquake strapped for the West Coast.
It would just take a few phone calls to find your local pricing.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
I see that you frequent Home Depot, they should have a price for simple installation right where the water heaters are, or at customer service.

Keep in mind that the installers are subs hired by HD, and they are looking for ways to get more money out of you, so every little detail above "simple exchange" will be extra. Some that you need and some that you don't.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
If they say you "need" a modification, most will NOT install it unless you agree to it. When my warranty company sent their plumber to exchange my heater, they wanted over $300.00 in "extras". I told them to install the heater and I would take care of the extras but they would not, so I contacted the warranty company and installed it myself. (that plumber did not even know the heater was using propane, not natural gas and would have tried to install the wrong heater).

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
HJ,
Google "complaints HD installers", you'll see in how many law suits they are involved.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A WH that a plumber gets at a supply house may end up being a better unit for about the same price. Yes, they do get a markup, but they also get a reasonable discount from their supplier verses you trying to buy one from them off the street.

Note, a 10-year old WH verses a new one will end up being a different physical size, even if it is the same volume to account for the newer safety requirements...they tend to be taller, which may mean space issues and almost certainly at least some slight rework to get it to fit.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks