Replacing galvanized water supply with PEX outside of home

Users who are viewing this thread

TNT62

Reaction score
I have searched all night on google with no luck in finding an answer.
I will try to summarize this best I can.
My home was built in 1950 and has the typical 5x8 bathroom. The bathroom floor had damage from a leak under the tub and I decided to replace the tub with a shower when having the new sub floor built. Independent carpenters came in and replaced the bad joist and built the new sub floor for a plumber to come in and install a cast iron shower base. When the plumber came, he suggested I replace the galvanized pipes with PEX and he could repipe the whole house. He did not explain to me until after he began the work that he could not repipe under the house to the utility room and water heater, as it is an enclosed garage and he said he couldn't get under that part of the house, would wrap the piping from the kitchen which is at the front of the house to the utility area which is at the rear o f the house. He said it would be installed under the overhang/eave/soffit.
I have never seen such a thing and cannot find any pictures of such a set up. When I went outside today and saw the blue and white pipes, I asked about the visibility factor, he said nobody will see them, they will be spray painted to match the house and braces used to hold it up. I was very leary about this set up, but he continued to say it's done all the time. Then I went and looked at the pipes he is running directly to the bathroom which is located just left of my front porch those pipes were inserted into the spaced brick vent area directly under the bathroom. There is a crawl space there so I can't understand why they are not going under the ground.
I just need to know if this is an acceptable method for installing the water supply lines. I am in North Florida and we do get freeze warnings here. I'm reading everywhere that the lines should not be located in an exterior wall, which would logically lead me to believe they should not be installed literally on the outside of the house. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
I find another plumber. Are you sure he is licensed? https://www.myfloridalicense.com/wl11.asp?mode=0&SID

In South Florida some low cost homes built in the 1980's did run pipe in the attic space. One of my neighbors with copper under the slab a hot water line was leaking. Back in 1992 or so leak detection methods were not as there is now a days The fix was all the hot water lines had to be rerun through the attic. But in South Florida the last time it went below freezing was Dec. 24-25, 1989. Water lines running outside the home under the soffit? That is nuts.

https://codes.iccsafe.org/public/document/FPC2017/chapter-6-water-supply-and-distribution It is not always as simple as it sounds, here is one little example and there are plenty of searching you can do.

2017 Florida Building Code - Plumbing, Sixth Edition

• CHAPTER6
    WATER SUPPLY AND DISTRIBUTION

SECTION601
    GENERAL

601.1Scope.

This chapter shall govern the materials, design and installation of water supply systems, both hot and cold, for utilization in connection with human occupancy and habitation and shall govern the installation of individual water supply systems.

601.2Solar energy utilization.
    Solar energy systems used for heating potable water or using an independent medium for heating potable water shall comply with the applicable requirements of this code. The use of solar energy shall not compromise the requirements for cross connection or protection of the potable water supply system required by this code.

601.3Existing piping used for grounding.
    Existing metallic water service piping used for electrical grounding shall not be replaced with nonmetallic pipe or tubing until other approved means of grounding is provided.

601.4Tests.
    The potable water distribution system shall be tested in accordance with Section 312.5.

601.5Rehabilitation of piping systems.
    Where pressure piping systems are rehabilitated using an epoxy lining system, such lining system shall comply with ASTM F2831.

Last edited:

Highlander

Reaction score
Notwhistanding “appearance” issues, most PEX tubing products should not be exposed to sunlight on a long-term basis. That spray paint may offer some protection but hopefully it doesn’t react with the plastic either...

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You want the pipe to be insulated and near the ceiling so the insulation is over the top, and the pipes then tend to stay closer to the conditioned temperature of the home verses varying so much with the day and solar. While it is unlikely pex would split if the water froze, if there's a fitting involved, it will likely fail at that point.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks