Replacing galvanized waste pipe going into slab

Users who are viewing this thread

Glen

Reaction score
I have an older galvanized drain pipe (2") that is in good condition except for the few inches above where it goes into the basement slab floor. Underneath that it would eventually tie into cast iron. A flood long ago must have caused the galvanized to rust in that area and not above. Is there anyway I can cut the pipe flush with the slab and replace about 3' going up? I would not know how to make the connection at the bottom end. Thanks.

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
pipe

Unless the pipe is rotten, you possibly could cut it off above the floor and remove it. The 2" should be immediately screwed in to cast iron just under the slab. A short handled three pound sledge and a 2' pipe wrench may be all you need.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
pipe

It will be caulked into the cast iron under the floor not screwed. And unless the concrete is broken away from around the pipe it is not going to turn anyway.

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
Where I come from there were a lot of 3" x 2" or 3" x 1 1/2" tapped cast iron ells in leaded joints and I've stripped the old pipe out more than once......

We also used 2" or 1 1/2" cast iron reducers that were leaded into a 3" cast iron fitting under the slab.

What ever will work, I just thought I throw that out as a possibility.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks