Replacing Frost-Free Silcock - Need Advice

Users who are viewing this thread

azeus

Reaction score
I need some advice on replacing a frost-free silcock. I'm at the point where I need to remove the old silcock pipe that's going into the house. I removed the hose bib already as it wasn't soldered on. My initial worry was that because the my parents house is so old and it doesn't seem like it's been replaced in the last 20 years that the original was soldered on, which would be a nightmare to replace. I found the location it goes into the house as the corner of the garage ceiling. It's in such an odd place that I figured it couldn't be soldered on. I cut a decent size hole in the dry wall ceiling to get in and take a peek, it's really hard to reach in there as it's in the corner. I was able to take a photo with my cell phone (see attached). Can I just unscrew the pipe from the outside with some force? I had to ask first as I didn't want to cause damage to the pipe on the inside. I'm not sure if the hex nut is a part of the silcock or some fitting that is being used. The silcock seems to be 1/2" copper and the pipe connecting to it seems to be 1" galvanized steel. There's no room for me to use a wrench from the inside as I'd have to remove wooden support beams just to fit a wrench in there, so I would have to do the unscrewing from the small amount of pipe sticking out from the house.
LXNMzBf.jpg
2016-09-10.jpg

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
I need some advice on replacing a frost-free silcock. I'm at the point where I need to remove the old silcock pipe that's going into the house. I removed the hose bib already as it wasn't soldered on. My initial worry was that because the my parents house is so old and it doesn't seem like it's been replaced in the last 20 years that the original was soldered on, which would be a nightmare to replace. I found the location it goes into the house as the corner of the garage ceiling. It's in such an odd place that I figured it couldn't be soldered on. I cut a decent size hole in the dry wall ceiling to get in and take a peek, it's really hard to reach in there as it's in the corner. I was able to take a photo with my cell phone (see attached). Can I just unscrew the pipe from the outside with some force? I had to ask first as I didn't want to cause damage to the pipe on the inside. I'm not sure if the hex nut is a part of the silcock or some fitting that is being used. The silcock seems to be 1/2" copper and the pipe connecting to it seems to be 1" galvanized steel. There's no room for me to use a wrench from the inside as I'd have to remove wooden support beams just to fit a wrench in there, so I would have to do the unscrewing from the small amount of pipe sticking out from the house.
LXNMzBf.jpg
2016-09-10.jpg
To me it looks like a compression fitting, so you would need to get a wrench on those flats and unscrew it.
This would be a good time to spray it with a shot of PB Blaster or similar.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
It is hard to tell from your photos, but the hex thing is either part of the faucet or some kind of 3/4 x 1/2 inch bushing. But, regardless of which it is, it should unscrew from the galvanized pipe, (which is probably only 1/2"). If that "silver" thing is actually a pipe coupling, your photo does not show it very well, then the faucet may be screwed in to it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks