Replacing Existing 3-way Switch

Users who are viewing this thread

ftbadolato

Reaction score
Hello, I have an existing 3-way switch I'm trying to replace with a Lutron Caseta switch. My switch was working fine, no issues, but the Caseta comes with a remote so we can turn it off from bed. The switch I replaced is a basic Leviton 3-way paddle switch. The other switch on the 3-way is a Leviton (I think) with a dimmer slide. I've hooked up the new switch and it works properly. The remote works fine, etc. The other switch that I haven't touched, however, won't turn the lights on or off. If the lights are on and I try to use that switch the lights flicker once. If the lights are off, nothing happens. The dimmer feature still works. Again, I haven't touched that switch. Even though the new Lutron is working I must have done something wrong there?

Afjes

Reaction score
Step one - can you give us the model # of the new switch?
Step two - if available can you post a picture of the intructions for the new switch
Step three - can you describe the wiring in the box that you now installed the new switch in

Even though the new switch may be working you still may not have installed it properly so it works with the existing switch.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
It seem the new Caseta switch does not work with a three way set up, especially since the other is a standard "dimmer". I have found motion sensor switches usually need a compatible second switch for it to work properly for three way switch setup. It's why Afjes asked for your model number to look up the installation instructions.

Here is their video, it shows how set-up their dimmer. Most instructions will never state what does not work with their new products. They may list compatible products. In FAQ's you might find a statement what doesn't work.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks