Replacing Ejector and foot valve at bottom of hill

Users who are viewing this thread

Jenny B

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm helping friends in a rural island community to replace their double drop jet pump assembly at their new place. Originally the only reason they wanted to remove the pump was to move it off the floor so they could have a concrete floor poured. Mounted the old pump on cement blocks off to the side, reattached the piping, but the priming plug broke off in the machine when I went to prime the old pump (a 3/4HP Monarch Industries ancient thing...actually had a recall on it)! Managed to turn it on its side and clean out the threads and get it sealed up to get it primed and going again. Was careful not to let rusty crud fall back inside, but probably some did when it broke off. It wouldn't reach cut out pressure anymore. hovered around 30-35. There was no water loss from the pipe, and I readjusted the pressure tank to 28, with a new 30/50 control switch. The original setting was less than 15psi and gauge was broken, so I replaced that too. I don't suspect a suction leak. At this point they opted to just replace the pump, seeming it was so old and plugged with rust and dirt and god knows what. I don't think anyone had touched it in years as the previous owner was elderly. Didn't replace the foot valve or Ejector. The pump in in their basement, the shallow well is next to a pond about 200' from the house, 1 1/2" poly, and approx 50 ft lower elevation-wise. There are two 1 1/2" elbows where it comes out of the floor and heads to the pump.

Have reconnected everything with a new 3/4HP Little Giant deep well jet pump, primed no problem - but still the same issue - won't reach cut out pressure. I'm suspecting the Ejector is plugged at the bottom of the well. (the owner managed to pull the ejector up and took a picture- see attached...it's not purdy)

Soooooooo I want to replace that now, as the parts came with the pump and have a new foot valve, pipe nipples etc. My main concern is how much water is going to come out when I detatch the old ejector or cut the pipe...what is a safe way to drain the water? Just don't want to get hurt besides getting wet. Obviously I'll depressurize the system at the top of the hill but there's still 200 ft of water sitting in the pipe on the hill. Anyways noone on the island can help them, and I just am hoping to restore their water asap here. Poor folks. Can-o-worms. haha the joys of home ownership! Any advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance. :)

Attachments

• IMG_4155.JPG
    IMG_4155.JPG
    114.8 KB · Views: 520
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks