Replacing closet flange - damaged drain pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

MC922

Reaction score
I am renovating a bathroom in my home. I decided to replace the old flange with a new one (first mistake). the old flange was 3" pvc solvent welded into the 4" drain pipe. removing the old flange was a nightmare and in the process I wound up breaking the top of the drain pipe in several places (see images below). I am hoping that I did not create a much larger problem and bigger expense by doing this. The damage goes about 2 or 3 inches into the drain pipe. How can I fix this? I was thinking a flange with a longer pipe to go into the drain far enough to cover the damages area, possibly a coupling....no clue what to do here.
any suggestions and help is greatly appreciated!
20171102_131713.jpg
20171102_133729.jpg
20171102_160244.jpg

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It looks like you have an inside mounted flange, so the ID of the top part of what's left of the old flange is neither 3" or 4" (probably 3.5"). You could use a tool called a RamBit to ream out the existing pipe down to the hub of the elbow that is below, glue a new riser in place, then add a new flange. You'd have to cut the pipe low enough to cut out at least the thickness of what's left of the old flange since the RamBit is designed to use the inside of the pipe as a guide. AN inside pipe cutter (looks like a small circular saw on a shaft you use with a drill) could cut it off. Make sure to stuff something into the pipe to prevent clogging it up with plastic pieces or chunks.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
If you have access from below, it may be a simple matter to replace the closet elbow, riser, and flange with standard materials.

Will Rogers Plumbing

Plumbing Contractor
Reaction score
Website
www.willrogersplumbing.com
Use a inside the pipe cutter to cut pipe square. Looks like you have foam around your 4" PVC riser. Remove enough foam to glue a coupling 4" with new 4" PVC riser to match correct height for new flange. Use a 4"/3" flange. It will glue inside of 4" PVC pipe or over 3" PVC pipe. Make sure to anchor flange to slab. If you don't have enough concrete to anchor to, there is a product called Rockite that will allow to be drilled in 20-30 min.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks