Replacing cast iron p-trap into iron hub help, with pictures

Users who are viewing this thread

69velle

Reaction score
Hello all
I have a shower with a cast iron P-trap that is leaking. At first i was hoping to cut out the old trap and splice a new abs one in with a rubber coupling, but the trap arm is not long enough to have a nice square cut with enough material for a coupling. I might get 1" of usable straight pipe by cutting it. Will a Fernco donut work in a cast Tee hub? What other methods do you recommend to get the old pipe out and install ABS? Based on the picture does this look like an oakum/lead or something else to drill out?

Ignore the current coupling as that is old.

Thank you

Attachments

• Shower p-trap 2.jpg
    Shower p-trap 2.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 486
  • Shower P-trap.jpg
    Shower P-trap.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 524

OLD TIMER

Reaction score
Use a torch to melt the lead and gently remove the trap. Have a bucket of water and a fire extinguisher with you just in case. If you don't feel safe with a torch you can use a drill to drill out the lead. clean out the hub and use a fernco donut with "duck butter".
be very gentle so you don't damage the pipe. choose your p-trap.

fernco-donut.jpg

index.php

Last edited by a moderator:

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
The depth of the rubber hub on a typical shielded Fernco or Mission coupling is 1". So if you really can get a full 1" of clean, straight old pipe without disturbing the joint at the neighboring hub, that would be sufficient.

Cheers, Wayne

69velle

Reaction score
Thank you both. I’ll see how much straight pipe I can cut using my digital caliper and see if I can find a coupling otherwise I’ll kill some harbor freight drill bits. While i like the torch as much as the next guy, I’m not sure I’m experienced enough to melt lead without burning down the house.

69velle

Reaction score
Looking at the Fernco 3000-22, I think i have enough clean pipe for it to work, however the Fernco website says its recommended for above ground installs. Has anyone successfully buried the 3000-22? They list 1056-22RC as the underground coupling, however I'm not sure it will work in my instance.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks