Replacing breakers in obsolete box

Users who are viewing this thread

Kat D.

Reaction score
What amp rating is your main breaker? If 100, you have 100.

My main breaker isn't actually a breaker -- it's a pull for two 50-amp fuses ... which equals 100.

So, great. I'll do ask around and get some estimates on updating the blasted thing. :)

Reach4

Reaction score
My main breaker isn't actually a breaker -- it's a pull for two 50-amp fuses ... which equals 100.
That would be called 50 amp.

You can ask the power company what the line is currently. I expect the wires before the meter will need to be replaced and the meter box will probably be new too.

If you want to maybe get fancy, consider asking how much running the electricity underground to the house would cost. Upgrading the overhead wires to the new service may be free.

Kat D.

Reaction score
That would be called 50 amp.

You can ask the power company what the line is currently. I expect the wires before the meter will need to be replaced and the meter box will probably be new too.

If you want to maybe get fancy, consider asking how much running the electricity underground to the house would cost. Upgrading the overhead wires to the new service may be free.

Hmm. They replaced my meter with one of the "smart" ones within the past couple years, IIRC. I'll give them a call. Thanks.

Stuff

Reaction score
Are you sure the fuses are 50 amp? That old panel says it is rated for 100 amps. With an electric range, dryer, and a heat pump with heat strips I would think 50 amp fuses would be blowing regularly.

Stuff

Reaction score
Hmm. They replaced my meter with one of the "smart" ones within the past couple years, IIRC. I'll give them a call. Thanks.
The meters themselves are usually rated up to 200 amps and will work on 60 amp services. It is the meter base and wiring that matter to determine service size.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
FWIW, you have 240vac coming in, and all of the current that comes in one lead, goes out the other (and alternates, back and forth at 60Hz)...that's why each leg is that 50A...as stated, you have a 50A service (which is quite small by today's standards). You get 120vac by having a wire half-way across the transformer, thus, it's 120vac from that neutral to each of the other leads, but in reality, you only have 240vac coming in with a reference so you can achieve 120vac from that neutral, or 240vac from the two 'hot' leads.

Highlander

Reaction score
Quite possible a small older house still has a 50A service (built pre-central air, possibly had an oil furnace, even a gas stove and dryer, etc...). “They” probably added stuff without upgrading the main service. Underpowered for today’s typical usage, tho.

Whatever you do, no laundry while the turkey is cooking next weekend ;) (incidentally electricians sometimes refer to Thanksgiving as the “worse case scenario” for residential usage).

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks