Replacing bathtub p-trap

Users who are viewing this thread

Tree fingers

Reaction score
I am replacing my old bathtub but once I had the old tub removed I noticed that the tub's brass p-trap connection was rotted out. The far end of the brass p-trap pipe is stuffed inside an ABS pipe which then leads to the main waste line. My question is, well, what should I do? The brass pipe is in the ABS pipe very tightly so I'm not sure if I can pull it out with out breaking anything. Would I be better off cutting through the brass pipe and using a compression fitting?

image.jpg

Thanks in advance for all advice!

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The ABS has a trap adapter on it, with slip joint nut and washer. It takes tublar fittings, which is what your brass tub drain is.

You could use an ABS tub waste and overflow, and glue with coupling to the 1.5" ABS pipe.
There should be a p-trap in there somewhere.

pp19010.gif

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks