Replacing bath tub spout and cut nub too short????

Users who are viewing this thread

idreos

Reaction score
I replaced a bath tub spout with a Danco spout made to replace the old Moen spout.

I made a big mistake by cutting the existing 1/2" copper tube nub coming out of the wall to less than the minimum called for. The minimum length of the copper tube nub distance from the wall was 1.5", I cut it to 1". This resulted in water coming out of the back of the spout when I use the shower diverter on the

spout.

As I see it I now have two options to fix the problem

1 to remove tile and cut through the backer board remove and replace the copper nub by soldering a longer copper tube to replace the shorter one

2 cut out a piece of plasterboard behind the plumbing to gain access to the back of the plumbing and remove and resolder a longer copper pipe

My questions:

What's the easier option 1 or 2 ??

Am I missing another option that would be simpler?? ( I can't solder a coupling and a copper tube section to extend the copper tube from the wall as the coupling would interfere with the spout installation, not making it flush to the tile)
Thanks for your help!

Vic

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
spout

Give a "good" spout, which does not include a Danco one, with the threads at the "front" of the spout. Then you will have plenty of room to install a coupling and adapter.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks