Replacing backflow preventer valve on tub faucet

Users who are viewing this thread

Andy Ihlenfeldt

Reaction score
I have a claw foot tub with a handheld shower. The handheld shower seems to have a misbehaving backflow preventer valve. When the pressure gets to high (not really very high), the water is simply shut off. I'm looking at it and it seems the backflow preventer is a fairly complicated mechanism that would be prone to failure.

I've reached out to the manufacturer but they don't seem to have a very robust service group. So, my question here is, is this typically replaceable? I'm not finding much online about replacing backflow preventers in bathroom faucets. All I've found is replacing them on external hoses. I'm afraid I'm going to have to replace the entire $400 tub faucet.

I've attached a photo of what I believe is the valve in question.

Thanks.

Attachments

• backflow preventer.JPG
    backflow preventer.JPG
    67.7 KB · Views: 226

Marlinman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Try using snap ring pliers to remove and possibly repair the diverter. If its not repairable you can replace with the external type.

snap-ring-tool.jpg

Andy Ihlenfeldt

Reaction score
What brand and model is that?

Seriously, I can't be sure because it came with the house, but I'm pretty sure it's this.

I contacted them over the weekend and was told it probably wasn't repairable. I don't know about this "snap ring pliers", but replacing it with a external one was exactly why I posted here. There is something I can attach to replace it (if I manage to remove the existing one)? Is it likely that I'll find something that fits in the spot where the current one is or would I get something that attaches between the sprayer hose and the faucet?

Last edited:

Andy Ihlenfeldt

Reaction score
I'm happy to report that I was able to borrow a snap ring pliers like Marlinman recommended and with it removed the valve. It was a small largely plastic device that can't be repaired. I then used Marlinman's suggestion to purchase an external "vacuum breaker" from my local plumbing supply store that seems to work perfectly! Thanks for the advice--I couldn't have done it without you.

Andy

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks