Replacing ancient waste pipes in 1920's bathroom

Users who are viewing this thread

FLXChris

Reaction score
First, a huge thank you to Terry and everyone who contributes to this forum. A lot of time and money has been saved thanks to all the great info. I am gutting my 1920's 2nd floor bathroom, as the configuration was horrible. In short, the bathroom is 5x7-ish, and the tub was placed on the long side (pictures attached), next to the toilet. The sink was placed directly in front of the toilet, so the space was ridiculously tight. Initially, I thought I'd be able to cut the toilet waste pipe at the bend, then extend it a few feet w/PVC. However, it doesn't look like that's possible, since the sink, tub and toilet were flowing/screwed into into the same unit. Plan is to move the tub against the exterior wall w/window, then move sink and toilet to where the tub is now. Anyhow, just curious if anyone has had to deal with cutting this type of apparatus to make updates? Likely going to defer to a pro to be safe, however I'd like to understand what all this would entail so I don't get hosed. Thanks for any input!

IMG_8953.jpg
Bathroom.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You look to have two options on the waste from the wall. Either cut the pipe and use a shielded coupling there, rebuilding what you have from that point, or remove the lead from the hub and push in a donut and pipe back into the hub. Cutting is much easier, the donut allows you to install fittings closer to the wall.
Other options would be to drop into the wall below and add fittings for the bathroom there.

FLXChris

Reaction score
You look to have two options on the waste from the wall. Either cut the pipe and use a shielded coupling there, rebuilding what you have from that point, or remove the lead from the hub and push in a donut and pipe back into the hub. Cutting is much easier, the donut allows you to install fittings closer to the wall.
Other options would be to drop into the wall below and add fittings for the bathroom there.
This makes perfect sense. I was definitely overthinking the process. Thank you!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks