Replacing an old tub with shower pan

Users who are viewing this thread

sajarac

Reaction score
Hello,

I am looking for an honest advice and I hope I can get it here.

I am replacing a 40+ years old tub in my bathroom, I live in a condo so the floor is concrete. The tub drain pipe is located above the concrete and is Brass 1.1/2" I guess. The shower base that I bought is a Shower pan style 60x30. Now that pan is for an standard 2" PVC compression fitted drain. The question is ?
How to connect the 2" PVC drain with my existing 1.1/2 brass pipe? Is there any reducing coupling for this?

Thanks in advance for any help.

sajarac

Reaction score
Hey, Thank you very much for your prompt response.

The P-trap is brass also and is located at the rear of the base.
And the new base is left side 60x30

sajarac-01.jpg

sajarac-02.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Perhaps a reducer and a street 90 would work there. A 2 x 1.5 flush bush may be better if it's long enough for the provided shower drain. I was looking and didn't quickly find one with my stuff.

shower-reducer.jpg

And from plastic to copper something like this. They also make this to go from copper to plastic sizing.

plumbquick-coupling-22.jpg

You may need to lift the shower pan higher for that all to work.

sajarac

Reaction score
Thank you very much Mr. Terry Love for taking the time and answer my question. I really appreciated. I am aware that I need to raise the pan. I am planning in building a platform using maybe 2x3 studs and plywood at the top. Something like this will work I hope. Fingers crossed.

Again Thank you, thank you, thank you!

:)

sajarac

Reaction score
Thank you @Marlinman. I will check this option too. But for some reason I couldn't find the product online. I guess this is for sale only for contractors in bulk maybe?

Reach4

Reaction score
Thank you @Marlinman. I will check this option too. But for some reason I couldn't find the product online. I guess this is for sale only for contractors in bulk maybe?
Many things are not posted for sale online, but are still available. I would suggest checking the link that https://www.osbplumbing.com/representatives.php refers you to, and ask who sells the product. However some makers will not knowingly sell to end users, so your suspicion could be right. They don't want to have to train homeowners.

sajarac

Reaction score
Thank you Terry and Marlinman, I will go with the low profile option. I sent an email to the OSB and they don't sell to homeowners. And the product is almost impossible to buy online but I will find it. for sure.

Now taking advantage of your knowledge, they have two options PVC and ABS, which one should I use to connect with my existing 1.1/2" brass pipe?

Thanks again both.

sajarac

Reaction score
Hi Terry, sorry to bother you again. Those guys from OBS looks like doesn't want to deal with home owners, but I finally get a quote for the part. And i the meantime I bought this PVC rear discharge and please check the pictures. The part installed looks ok to me is flush with the pan but once I put the cap, it is over the base shower. I don't know if this is going to be a issue? And also I have ordered 1.1/2" part but if you see in the picture the pipe goes outside the brass pipe. So in this case is OK to install in this part the P3000-22 ?

upload_2021-4-30_9-10-53.png

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks