Replacing a Weil Mclain CGA6 and expansion tank

Users who are viewing this thread

Stallion81

Reaction score
Hello all new to the forum. I do concrete for a living so bear with me. My expansion tank (plain steel) was leaking at the end of the year from the top, and my boiler also blew a leak. I'm assuming it was a combination of things including my auto fill valve. System was running correctly even with the drip from the expansion tank(12-15lbs). I haven't removed the tank yet too see how high the leak was on the tank(top in joists).

I'm replacing a Weil McLain CGA6 ,with a CGA6(new version), that I actually physically installed myself 22+ years ago? I just had someone wire it for me. My problem is either replacing the plain steel expansion which I cant seem to find, or replumbing for the newer vertical expansion tanks. Now for the replumb and expansion size questions I'm here to ask. When I replaced the prior boiler, the plumbing was straight forward as I was not changing anything but boiler types.

The current plumbing for the CGA6 and the prior boiler worked fine. I'm assuming this system was installed in the 50'-60's as the baseboard radiators were Sears Robucks steel 11" high by various lengths.

Here goes. The boiler is fed off the hot water heater with 3/4" pipe double T. One on/off "quick fill" valve, the other a B&G 12 PSI reducing valve(the auto fill). Off the otherside of those valves the 3/4" pipe goes both up and down(connected completely 4 ways/from either fill and up/down). It goes up to my current steel expansion tank(dead end). It goes down to "what I was told" is an air separator. This separator has the 3/4 feed on the left(feed side), the boiler 1 1/4 OUTPUT on the right(heat pushing up) and a 1 1/4" output to both zones on the top.

I had a bid(outrageous) tell me the air separator needed to be re-plumbed(removed) and my expansion tank needed to be plumbed from the currently capped 3/4 pipe that comes up from particular boiler right next to the output piping(top 1 1/4") . Both my return feeds are B&G series 100 pumps that return to the bottom of the CGA6. I just gotta make sure I plumb it right......a newer style ET and that old "air eliminator"....I dont wanna mess it up.

How to plumb in a new expansion tank?
What to do with the old air eliminator.....Just a simple T?
My existing standard steel tank is 25G approximate, do I need a #60 or a #90(Extrol example)?

Thanks for your time folks.

Last edited:

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
Have you already taken delivery on the new CGa-6? That thing puts out 146 BTU/hr, enough heat to theoretically keep my sub-code antique 2400' house + 1600' of sub-grade basement cozy even when it's -175F outside(!).

If it's not already too late replacing like for like repeats the oversizing errors of the past two boilers, which has both comfort and efficiency consequences. Run a fuel-use load calculation using the old boiler as a measuring instrument. The 99% outside design temp for Rockford is -4F, so upsize the boiler output by 1.4x (and not more) from there to be able to cover. Almost all houses in Rockford could be heated just fine with a CGa-25 or CGa-3, and only the big drafty houses could make good use of a CGa-4 or larger.

You probably don't even have enough radiator to emit the full output of the CGa-6- it just cycles on/off during continuous calls for heat. It's pretty typical to find boilers 2x oversized for the radiation and 3x oversized for the actual space heating load. A bigger boiler doesn't heat the place any better or faster- it just cycles on/off more, and could even be short-cycling if the house is broken up into separately controlled zones.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks