replacing a spigot on outdoor copper

Users who are viewing this thread

mikeb

Reaction score
An outdoor pipe with a spigot started leaking, so I cut out the old spigot and leaky part of the pipe, thinking I would just pick up a new fitting and spigot. It looked like 1/2inch, so I bought the adapter and a spigot. I found the time to put it all back together and the adapter just butted up against the pipe....

The copper pipe appears thicker than the pipe that the hardware stores carry. In talking with family and the stores. It seems that the pipe may be refrigeration tube, or after looking at the piping page here, K thickness pipe.

So, my question is, should standard 1/2 inch adapters (that you would find at Home Depot etc) fit on K outdoor thickness pipe? If not, where can I get a K thickness adapter for a spigot? If they should fit (and in this case they are not), then perhaps this is refrigeration pipe, and where can I get an adapter for that.

So far the local hardware stores and plubming supply are coming up empty.

Suggestions are welcome.

Thanks!

Mike

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Standard copper fittings fit K,L,M. There is no difference in the OD of these different tubes. You mentioned type ACR: the difference in the tubing is that ACR is referred to by OD; i.e. 1/2" type ACR is actual 1/2" OD. When we refer to standard hard or soft copper tubing, type K, L, or M the callout size is NOMINAL ID. The actual OD is excactly 1/8" larger than the callout. SO, 1/2 type K,L, or M all are exactly 5/8" OD. The wall thicknesses are different so the actual ID are different, but all are referred to as NOMINAL 1/2.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks