REplacing a "S" Trap

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by DonnnieLeee, Nov 28, 2008.

  1. DonnnieLeee

    DonnnieLeee New Member

    Nov 28, 2008
    I recently purchased a home and must bring it up to code. Two of the sinks have "S" traps and they are making me replace then. What options do i have if the plumbing goes straight to the floor and there is no way for a "P" Trap? I heard there was some sort of trap that will not let the water in the trap get vacumed away. Any idea if there is an easy way to fix this problem without having to move the plumbing?
  2. Redwood

    Redwood Master Plumber

    Dec 15, 2007
    Service Plumber
    The best way (right way) is to run a vent up the wall and out the roof.

    The easy way out is shown below.

  3. Sponsor

    Sponsor Paid Advertisement

  4. SewerRatz

    SewerRatz Illinois Licensed Plumber

    Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago Illinois Licensed Plumber
    Chicago, IL
    Depending on where you live. You might be able to use an AAV (Air Admittance valve) In Illinois I know they are not allowed to be used at all. So best bet is to call the local plumbing inspector and ask him or her what is allowed. Here is a picture to show you how you would go about plumbing it in. Also you can go to this link to see if your state approves the AAV.
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2008
  5. hj

    hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

    Aug 31, 2004
    Cave Creek, Arizona

    IT is not just the state, but some cities allow them and others do not.
  6. Gary Swart

    Gary Swart In the Trades

    Sep 1, 2004
    Yakima WA
    To use or not use and AAV is sure to start an uproar. Some would have you believe they can be used almost anywhere and other swear they are the worst curse since the Black Plague! I suspect the real truth will never be found or agreed upon. Here's the way I see it. They are useful in some situations, but certainly not for venting every drain. In new construction, I do not see any reason to even consider them, however in remodeling there are places where when use properly, they can save the day. An AVV is a mechanical device and as such they can fail. How frequently they fail is open to debate, but because of the possibility of failure, they must be easily accessible. In the island sink under consideration in this thread, it is my opinion that a AAV would be the logical choice. The illustration by SewrzRat is how it should be installed. Obviously, you must adhere to local codes, but I think most will allow them when properly installed.
Similar Threads: REplacing Trap
Forum Title Date
Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice Replacing corroded cast iron sewer pipe and whole house trap Jun 8, 2017
Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice Replacing Drum Trap Mar 29, 2017
Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice Replacing vented drum trap question Feb 13, 2016
Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice Replacing sink...P-trap and drain dont line up Aug 9, 2013
Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice HELP! Replacing this P trap Jul 17, 2013

Share This Page