Replacing a pressure switch

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmhall17

Reaction score
How do I replace a pressure switch?

It has a small drip coming out of it. There looks to be rust water build up, how do I take this thing off and clean it?

I have no experience with these things, so step by step would be appreciated!

Attachments

• PS close up1.JPG
    PS close up1.JPG
    13.2 KB · Views: 6,354
Last edited by a moderator:

WV Hillbilly

Reaction score
This pressure switch is threaded onto a small pipe ? Is the leak where the pressure switch threads on the small pipe or is the leak coming from inside the pressure switch ? By inside I mean from under the grey cover . There is electricity inside that pressure switch so don't touch anything in there .

rmhall17

Reaction score
its comes out of the box

so if i can get the water shut off, and if its that small pipe were can I get a replacement? and can I just replace the small pipe without having to remove the entire pressure switch?

WV thanks for helping
Randy

WV Hillbilly

Reaction score
It's probably not the small pipe itself but maybe where the pressure switch threads on the small pipe . That's what I was trying to find out , where is the leak coming from ? Right underneath the pressure switch where it threads on the pipe or from inside the pressure switch ?

Sammyhydro11

In the Trades
Reaction score
You first want to make sure its not coming from a conduit that comes out of the foundation and into the switch. If it is, you need to remove that conduit and patch the foundation. If it is the switch itself, you need to replace it. Shut the power off at the circuit breaker and get yourself some electrical meters and check for voltage to be sure that it is off. You then need to turn on some faucets and drain the tank. When its drained, the gauge on the tank should read zero. Next step is to shut the main valve going to the house get a bucket,put it underneath the spigot on the tank , and open it to drain the water left in the pipe. Next you need to un wire the switch, get both the wires from the panel and the wires going to the pump out of the switch. With a wrench remove the switch and replace it. If the nipple stays in place then put some plumbers tape and pipe dope on the threads and simply screw the new switch on. If the nipple comes off with the switch, then you will have to remove the nipple from the old switch,do the tape and pipe dope on both ends of the nipple,and install the switch. Wire the switch by screwing the leads from the breaker on the outside lead terminal screws and the pump leads on the inside terminal screws. If you have a 30/50 or 40/60 switch you need to adjust the air in the tank so the pressure is 2lbs below the cut in pressure. Once that is all done, shut your drain spigot off at the tank and turn the power back on. the pressure should build to its shut off pressure. Turn the water on slowly to the house and the pressure will start to drop. If all your settings are right, it should cut in at the switches set cut in pressure. Once it cuts in shut the water off to gthe house and make sure it builds to the correct pressure. If it does just turn the valve back on, shut your faucets off and you are good.

If you are not sure about doing any of that, you should call a pump guy.

sammy

www.tylerwellandpump.com

Attachments

• pressure switch c.JPG
    pressure switch c.JPG
    36.6 KB · Views: 23,899
Last edited by a moderator:

rmhall17

Reaction score
?

can I use this Flotec Pressure Switch 40/60 PSI instead of the square D and is there any difference?

rmhall17

Reaction score
so

to adjust the air pressure of the tank do I need a manual or electic pump to force air back into the air bladder tank? and by cut in (does that mean if its a 40-60 to set it to 38?

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Yes, with the tank drained of water, the air should be 38 psi on a 40-60 system. If you need to add air you can use a hand or electric pump.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks