Replacing a Mirabelle toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

victort1

Reaction score
We moved into a new home about 4.5 years ago, and unfortunately, all 7 toilets are Mirabelles. They are the worst flushing toilets we've ever had. It's clear that the water doesn't seem to even touch most of the bowl when they flush, and they also clog easily.

I have attached a pic of the toilet we want to replace. It's running and it seems that just the replacement cost of the internals is about $80 from Ferguson. (that includes $15 in shipping because one item has to be shipped from Iowa.)

I'd rather just replace the toilet at this point. We had Toto Drake IIs in the previous home based on reviews from this website, so perhaps I should just start to transition back to Toto. I spoke to a plumber today and he recommended the Gerber Avalanche. I had never even heard of the Gerber previously and that's what brought me back to this site when I googled Gerber vs Toto. He indicated that they flush well and that they have a large base that will cover most toilet roughs.

How do I know if a toilet will match or cover up the old toilet rough-in? Is the Drake II still the best bang for the buck? Should I consider the Ultramax instead?

The plumber I spoke with doesn't have much experience with Toto. Should I find one who does?

Thanks!

milazzo-toilet.jpg

Mirabelle Milazzo

63457608261--EBAA10AD-A149-429E-B389-E6E9B60EA575.jpeg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I prefer the TOTO over the Gerber. There are plumbers that like Gerber mainly because they are only sold to plumbers. It's hard to price shop something that the hardware stores can't get. There is nothing wrong with Gerber, I also sell them.

I installed this TOTO Ultramax II in Sedona Beige this morning.

ms604-terrylove-14.jpg

MS604114CEFG-12

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
So the Ultramax II will cover the space from the Mirabelle? :)

What do you have? Wood floors everywhere?
I don't have issues with tile and vinyl.
The Mirabelle doesn't look to have a very big foot print though. You could try one to start.

kohler-wellworth-old-yellow.jpg

This is what I pulled out.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks