Replacing a Kohler Wellworth in California

Users who are viewing this thread

Unmesh

Reaction score
My Mom's been calling me every couple of weeks to clear out her Kohler Wellworth 1.6gps toilet with the so-called Silent Fill valve (used to be a couple times a year) and I was thinking of getting her a new toilet. However I see that California now requires a 1.28gpf or better toilet so I'm having second thoughts about this.

Hers was installed around 2000.

Any recommendations?

Should I consider installing a bidet seat or whatever they're called to reduce the amount of toilet paper that needs to be flushed?

Thanks

Reach4

Reaction score
My Mom's been calling me every couple of weeks to clear out her Kohler Wellworth
Clear out?

Should I consider installing a bidet seat or whatever they're called to reduce the amount of toilet paper that needs to be flushed?
Yes install the bidet seat, but saving toilet paper is the smaller benefit. Ease and effectiveness of cleaning is the big deal.

And if you ever get dire rear, there is a big bonus, tho cold would be better than warm in that case.

Last edited:

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'm not 100% on whether Kohler had caught up to engineering their toilets to 1.6 by year 2000. Every manufacture failed at it when low flow was required in 96ish..

We do install a lot of Highline/Wellworth toilets and I haven't had any issues with them. We're now required to have 1.28 as well.. I even installed the much maligned toto drake dual flush and as an experiment have ONLY ever used the 1.0gpf flush option and have never had an issue with clearing the bowl on a single flush.

I wouldn't hesitate to install a new Kohler or Toto 1.28.

Unmesh

Reaction score
@Reach4

I meant I'm having to use a toilet auger to get the toilet to resume draining.

Regarding the bidet seat, I put in Vive guide rails for her. Would there be a fit problem because bidet seats are larger than simple toilet seats?

Moms Toilet.jpg

@Tuttles Revenge

We have a mix of Kohler Wellworth and Portrait toilets in our house of that vintage that never gave us any problems so there is something specific to her. Thanks for alleviating my concern about going down from 1.6 to 1.28.

Reach4

Reaction score
Regarding the bidet seat, I put in Vive guide rails for her. Would there be a fit problem because bidet seats are larger than simple toilet seats?
Probably a problem to fit that device.

A different frame/device might be needed.

DriveMedicalSafetyFramewithPaddedArms.jpg

Unmesh

Reaction score
Okay, will take measurements with me when I go to a showroom to see actual toilets on display.

Thanks

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Woolworth toilets are pretty good and as Tuttle mentions, not sure if the Wellworth has issues with the first generation of 1.6 gallon models. Since you need to use a snake to clear the obstruction, I think the blockage is well past the toilet or there is an obstruction in the toilet trap way that moves around. A toilet flush performance does not degrade over time unless the wrong replacement flapper was used. You can still end up with the same problem with a new toilet if the blockage is in the plumbing. When you remove the toilet, do check the trap way. Something could have fallen in the toilet and it is stuck such as a comb, then with an auger clean out the waste line. PVC pipe rarely clogs up, if it is cast iron, it could be lined with crud where the pipe diameter is now too small.

At my church were I worked for 7 years, unknowing to me someone took a urinal scented puck and threw it in a toilet. For weeks it would occasional back up and all the snaking did not help. Frustrated I finally remove the bowl and sure enough the puck was at the end of the trap way spinning around like a valve.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
repeated auguring is often object in toilet that gets pushed aside stoppage is clear but eventually plugs up , observation similar to Worth Florida experience

Unmesh

Reaction score
Thanks for the pointers/advice.

I also learned that she started using "flushable wipes" that online searches say may not be disintegrating as rapidly as toilet paper.

Unmesh

Reaction score
Been researching bidet seats and there are a ton of them!

Does one with instant water heating need to be on its own electrical circuit because of the higher power draw?

Unmesh

Reaction score
1274W!

I should check to see if the circuit with the GFCI in her bathroom has only the bath light and fan on it in which case I could have an electrician extend it from above the sink to near the toilet.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
I don't think the grab bars should interfere, but I've never installed one with that setup. I'll try to see if I can test that in our showroom.

flushable wipes are Not flushable into a municipal sewer system ever. They could be the issue with the toilet clogging frequently.

Unmesh

Reaction score
I went to the local Toto dealer earlier today and there is very little space behind the seats. Even the style of grab bars @Reach4 showed in his post might interfere with the seat so more research/testing is required.

Their instant hot water seat was twice as expensive as their stored hot water seat though the salesperson did say there were other feature differences.

Reach4

Reaction score

Unmesh

Reaction score
Turns out there was one of those in the garage, apparently from the time my Dad was terminally ill. I've swapped out the rails for her to get comfortable with while I pick a seat. Leaning towards the Brondell S1000 from Costco.

Unmesh

Reaction score
I should probably find an electrician's website but will ask any way.

It is electrically safe to daisy chain another AC outlet after a GFCI outlet and continue to be protected but does it violate code to do so in a bathroom?

Reach4

Reaction score
I should probably find an electrician's website but will ask any way.

It is electrically safe to daisy chain another AC outlet after a GFCI outlet and continue to be protected but does it violate code to do so in a bathroom?
Yes safe. I don't think it violates a code. And especially if it is a 20 amp circuit, you would have left-over power.

If there is space in the box, sometimes you will use separate GFCI outlets to avoid confusion of where to reset and also avoid confusion as to which load caused the trip. But hooking another outlet to the load output is fine. Typically the load terminals are temporarily covered initially to cause you to wire the incoming power to the correct terminals.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
My mother's house did not get wired with 3-pin, grounded receptacles, but many modern things have that third pin. While rewiring the whole house may have been a better solution, with plaster walls, that wasn't going to happen. So, replaced every 2-pin receptacle with 3-pin ones after locating the first one in the chain to install a GFCI. I could have replaced the circuit breakers with GFCI ones, but that would have been more costly and the box was old, so I wasn't sure I could find compatible ones for the panel. Most GFCI receptacles are designed with a pass-through to protect things downstream. Just don't get the line/load terminals mixed up!

Unmesh

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Wanted to let you guys know that I got an electrician to add a GFCI receptacle and got Mom a bidet toilet seat (conveniently on sale at Costco!) along with the new grab bars.

She is still trying to get accustomed to it.

Thanks.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks