Replacing a jet pump

Users who are viewing this thread

Tom E

Reaction score
I am replacing my 44 year old Goulds 1/2 hp. deep water jet pump with a Goulds J5+ convertible pump. The old pump has a pressure regulator at the discharge. I would like to get something the same or similar but I can't seem to find one. The closest I can find is the Goulds AV1 water pressure regulator but the literature for that doesn't say it's for the J5+. I have limited space so what else can I use here?

Attachments

• 20180804_115026.jpg
    20180804_115026.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 276

Tom E

Reaction score
Thanks. I have decided to use the AV22 regulator. I will have to figure out where to install the pressure gauge though. The new pump doesn't come with the 2 fittings that attach the pump to the well hoses. I'm not sure what these are called or where I can get them.

Attachments

• 20180804_120719.jpg
    20180804_120719.jpg
    160.7 KB · Views: 257

Reach4

Reaction score
I don't know what fittings you need, but they can be called insert fittings or barbed fittings.
f2f2fc6ff9bbe3419b02e221c8faf07b

You normally want brass, and the size for those most commonly used in well work is specified by ASTM D2239 for SIDR pipe.

Last edited:

Tom E

Reaction score
I have pretty much everything I need now. Should I use Teflon thread sealant (Not tape) on the barbed connections or just the 2 clamps on each connection?

Tom E

Reaction score
I'm planning on using the water in the water tank to prime everything by leaving the gauge off and cracking the valve to the tank until the water flows out of the gauge connection. I hope that works.

Attachments

• 20190731_155837.jpg
    20190731_155837.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 419

Tom E

Reaction score
Thanks I thought that would be the case. I used Teflon tape with a coating of teflon sealant on top for all the male threaded fittings. I was wondering how it is going to be disconnecting the plastic pipe from the old pump since it's been on there for 44 years. I'll keep a heat gun handy.

Last edited:

Tom E

Reaction score
The old Goulds pump had a place to lubricate the motor. The new one has none. Do these require no lubrication over their life?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
The old Goulds pump had a place to lubricate the motor. The new one has none. Do these require no lubrication over their life?

LOL! That is the difference between stuff that was made 44 years ago and stuff that is made today. 44 years ago they used grease-able bearings,and if you greased them once a year they would last 44 years or longer. New pumps/motors have sealed bearings that cannot be lubricated. They have a set number of hours they are built to survive, then you will need a new pump. Anything that last 44 years will get redesigned with planned obsolescence as the key design factor. The pump in the famous fountain is Chicago were the "Friends" show was made has been working since 1927. They can make pumps to last a long time if they want. They just won't make as much money unless they switch to a sealed bearing or something else and purposely shorten the life of the pump/motor for you.

Tom E

Reaction score
I do know that about everything built today. Built to fail. I would not have replaced the old pump but it was starting to run loud and taking much more time to fill the expansion tank. One thing I noticed when I pulled the old one out was how much heavier it was then the new one. At least if I ever have to replace it again I will know exactly how to do it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks