replacing a gas heater, braided cold water inlet hose

Discussion in 'Water Heater Forum, Tanks' started by Dawn Marie, Aug 24, 2014.

  1. Dawn Marie

    Dawn Marie New Member

    Aug 24, 2014
    I have a "spray leak" coming out of the braided cold water inlet hose uptop of my gas water heater. I see it clearly spraying water out of the hose.. I need to replace it and ive never done this before. Please help with instructions on how to replace the hose. I can't seem to find anything online just for this issue. I only find instructions on how to replace the main copper waterline or the water heater itself. Please tell me i don't have to turn off the gas and drain the water heater just to replace the hose? There is a water shut off valve to the hose. The water heater is out on the back porch...not in a basement...Help please! Thank you :)
  2. Terry

    Terry Administrator Staff Member

    Aug 17, 2004
    Bothell, Washington
    Turn down the gas at the valve to vacation. That keeps the pilot on so that you won't need to relight.
    Turn off the water to the water heater. You can open up a hot only tap inside to drain down the hot side.

    for a water heater, I prefer a corrugated supply line, not braided.

    Loosely thread the water supply line on one side, and then taking the end of the flex in your hand, guide it down to the nipple on the tank. Thread up the tank side, and then go back and snug up the wall side.
    I like 24" connectors.

    fullysprinklered likes this.
  3. Sponsor

    Sponsor Paid Advertisement

    fullysprinklered likes this.
Similar Threads: replacing heater
Forum Title Date
Water Heater Forum, Tanks Replacing a rented water heater Sep 7, 2017
Water Heater Forum, Tanks Need Advice Replacing a 1987 Water Heater Oct 26, 2016
Water Heater Forum, Tanks Heater does not kick in after replacing heat exchanger Aug 29, 2016
Water Heater Forum, Tanks Replacing Grommet Seal on Hot Water Heater Jul 25, 2016
Water Heater Forum, Tanks Advice replacing old water heater Jun 25, 2015

Share This Page