Replacing a fiberglass shower pan, keeping wall tile - possible?

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by kgracey, Mar 6, 2015.

1. kgracey

kgracey New Member

Hey all,

I'm agonizing over how to go about this project. I have a shower where the tile is good but the glass and aluminum are a mess. It's a 1/4 round shape with a fiberglass base. What I'd like to do is replace the base and glass walls (using a kit I got from Home Depot) but keep the tile.

I haven't broken into this yet, but I'm suspecting that the existing fiberglass shower pan has a flange which extends behind the bottom row of the tile. So this really makes me wonder about how to go about it:

- Can I usually cut behind the bottom row of tile to free this flange, or would I need to remove the bottom row of tile?
    - Is it possible to remove and replace the tile on the bottom row?
    - is a full re-tile job enevitable here?

Thanks all!

2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Plumber
    In order to "tilt" it in you have to remove a lot more tile than just the bottom row on the three sides. Probably 36" on the two sides and at least 18" on the rear.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement