Replacing a Bathtub with Washer and Dryer

Users who are viewing this thread

GoodMikeT

Reaction score
I am remodeling my upstairs bath and replacing the bathtub wit a washer and dryer. I plan on using the existing tub drain to connect to a washer pan. The following pic is the current config.
Current Config.jpg

Can I connect the standpipe drain line to the 3" vent using a wye fitting?

WYE connection to standpipe.gif

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
What are you going to do with the existing tub and the shower drains? Do you plan to cut out and repair that section of pipe?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; How about this way;

The "new way" looks exactly like the old way. The pipes just go in a different direction. And the connection to the system is still too low.

GoodMikeT

Reaction score
quote; How about this way;

The "new way" looks exactly like the old way. The pipes just go in a different direction. And the connection to the system is still too low.

Does this look any better? In this example I would remove the existing bath/shower trap and cap the line. The new washer pan would have an open drain to the outside.
drain config 3.jpg

Last edited:

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
Last edited by a moderator:

GoodMikeT

Reaction score
I would cut out the section where the toilet and tub tied into the 3” drain line. You need to come up and tie the vents together at 42 inches above the floor or the minimum height would be 6” above the flood rim of fixtures on this floor.

I can definitely cut out and cap the tub drain but I will be installing a new toilet in the current flange location.

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
In the above diagram the washer is vented but the toilet is not. The little extra “L” part is not doing anything the way you have it there. You cannot wet vent a toilet with a washer. The washer waste should enter the 3” pipe below the toilet drain.
Do you have access to the drain pipe below where the toilet ties into the 3” pipe?

GoodMikeT

Reaction score
I removed some more sub floor to get better access. The first pic is a san-t installed below the san-t for the toilet. The second pic is a 3x3x3 san-t with a 2" inlet. The 1 1/2" pipe from the tub will be cut off and capped in both instances. would either of these options work?
k?
washer drain 1.jpg
Washer Drain 2.jpg

Last edited:

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
I agree with cwhyu2. The top picture is about what you need. The drain fitting below the sani-tee from the toilet should be a wye instead of another sani-tee. You are almost there.

GoodMikeT

Reaction score
Before I start cutting pipes, I am curious as to whether I can connect the washer drain to the two inch waste/vent pipe in the pic below (left side). The bathroom sink drains into this pipe. it is also a wet vent for the sink in the bathroom below.
Current Config.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks