Replacing a backup Zoeller 507 with something higher in capacity?

Users who are viewing this thread

Paulsiu

Reaction score
I currently have a Zoellar 507 as a backup. It's spec to run at 15 gpm at 10 feet. This apparently is too anemic since there's been several close calls with the main pump which has a higher capacity.

Base on some searches on this forum, there's a lot of people who like the Basement watchdog Big Dog while another group like the Zoeller Aquanot. My question is if I have a Zoellar 507 now, which is easier to swap in? The Aquanot looks like it would be more involved.

Any other suggestions?

By the way, are there backup with sealed batteries? It's rather a pain to refill the battery with distilled water in a dimly lit basement.

Paul

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
There is "sealed lead acid" (SLA) batteries and they come is many sizes. Another type is called GEL CELL. Batteriesplus.com has a information on SLA's and can be ordered or in stock. However, you may find them to be very expensive and may have to change the battery charger but cheaper than a flooded basement.

On you current battery setup what type of charger are you using? For your application you should be using a trickle charger like the "battery-tender". Constant charging of a fully charged lead acid battery will cause the the electrolyte to evaporate faster than normal. A smart charger as this model is
  • Resumes charging when battery voltage drops below 12.6 VDC
https://www.batteriesplus.com/charger/car-and-truck/battery-tender/dtb0220185gdlwh

Paulsiu

Reaction score
Thank you for your help.

It's hard to determine if I have a drainage issue. From what I can determine, regular rain will cause the system to triggered a day. Heavy rain will cause it to trigger during the rain storm. The biggest problem comes when the rain gutter is clog and the rain comes over the house like a sheet of water which is why I am constantly cleaning out the gutters. I am thinking of oversizing the backup or that purchase in case I don't clean the gutter in time.

Current battery has the label "Basement Watchdog special" on it. When I look it up, I think it said it has a trickle charger and wifi module (!?). May be the wifi is a later model. What's confusing is that the picture also shows a different pump than the Zoeller. Either the previous owner just combine a Zoeller with a Basement Watchdog battery or they are standardize and can do stuff like that. It does have a sensor for refilling the battery. It's just that it's a tricky to fill it exactly to the line in dimmer light. Bringing in a brighter light doesn't seems to help since the issue is created by shadows.

http://www.basementwatchdog.com/Bat...s/Basement_Watchdog_Special_Backup_System.php

Paul

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
I had a home in Algonquin and like most homes in IL a sump pump is required. All of the drainage and sloping will not stop the water from draining along the foundation walls. Illinois has a very heavy clay soil and it expands and shrinks with moisture. My sump did pretty much the same cycling as yours. When the clay soil drys out it pulls away from the foundation wall. If you get a rain that hits the side of the home, or as in your situation, sheets of water, it runs directly down the foundation wall. The good thing is the sump is doing its job. Even with regular rain and the clay soil expands to the foundation wall but it is never a perfect barrier. I found that the amount of water entering the sump would be at a slower rate with damp soil than after a very dry period. At my home in IL, I would run a garden hose at the foundation near the location of the sump. After a few minutes I would see water get pumped out. It was my way to occasionally check the pump. I did not have a battery back up.

I read some of the manual reference by your link. It a perfect unit but it does not included a battery. There is a battery water level sensor with this unit. The WiFi link reads that it will be coming soon. Please read the manual that you can download from the web site. It'll answer a lot of your concerns. It also addresses a sealed battery type. Note: a sealed type battery will not have the same stored amperage as does a large size marine type battery.
Money better spent could be to get gutter guards to prevent the gutter from clogging up.

http://basementwatchdog.com/Remote_terminal/wifi.php

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks