Replacing 32 yearold submersible pump

Users who are viewing this thread

bogdan530

Reaction score
I have a 200’ well with a two wire 4†Red Jacket submersible pump. I installed it myself thirty two years ago. I have replaced the pressure switch and pressure tank about three times each over the years, but the pump has worked flawlessly. I am thinking of replacing it this summer before it fails.
I am not sure if it is a ½ or ¾ hp pump but it draws 3.8A on 220V supply.
I have the following questions;
1- Should I leave it alone until it fails? I live in a high elevation of the Catskill Mountains in New York State and a failure in the winter would be a major problem.
2- The pitless adaptor and pipe from the well to the house are also thirty two years old. Should these parts also be replaced?
3- The pump was installed using 1†poly pipe with no safety rope. Is there a danger of the pipe breaking when I remove the old pump?
4- The original pump does not have a torque arrestor. Is it recommended?
5- The only check valve in the system is right before the pressure tank. Is this correct for modern pumps?
6- Can you tell the HP of the pump by the 3.8 amp draw? If it is ½ hp should I upgrade to ¾? Thank you in advance for answering my questions. B. John

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
A 1/2 HP should pull 5 amps, and a 3/4 pulls 6.8. Must be a 1/2 HP. They don't make pumps like that anymore. I think you are probably just as likely to have a problem in the winter with a new pump as you are with the old one. If it were me, I wouldn't touch it. I have one that is 28 years old, and I trust it more than a couple of newer pumps I have.

The o-ring in the pitless will probably need replacing if you mess with it. They usually continue to work fine until you take them apart.

Unless the pump is stuck, that pipe should be fine.

32 years without a torque arrestor should tell you that you don't need one.

There has to be another check on the pump itself. Only a galv tank needs a check valve/schrader valve above ground.

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
I would keep an eye on the amp draw and test the wires to ground until I saw a change. You did a good install, better not to fool with it now. You could stock the parts you need to redo it all as insurance.

Teets

CT pump guy
Reaction score
Is it possible this could be a 1/3 Hp pump? I've run across a couple through the years. I know they don't use motors of this size anymore, but I remember that they consistently pulled 3.7 amps on a 230V configuration.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks