Replacement window balancer?

Discussion in 'Remodel Forum & Blog' started by chassis, Sep 1, 2007.

  1. chassis

    chassis Engineer

    Sep 12, 2005
    SE Pennsylvania
    I have single pane double hung windows, they are original from when the house was built in 1950. The balancers are steel coil springs about 18-24 inches long, and are accessible without tearing the window jamb apart.

    I have a few of these springs that are broken, would like to replace them. As far as I can tell, the windows are "Curtis" brand. Couldn't find anything by searching on the internet. Can anyone please recommend a source where I can order the replacement balancer springs? Thanks.
  2. jimbo

    jimbo Plumber

    Aug 31, 2004
    San Diego, CA
    I have never seen a balance that was not replaceable. I can't picture yours from the description. But the fact that you know it is a steel coil means you have some idea what it is. Almost always the balance can be removed by screws, if it is a steel wire wrapped in a spring coil,....or the springs are accessible by removing an access panel. You might have to look closely as the screws may be heavily painted over.

    Some pictures would help.
  3. Sponsor

    Sponsor Paid Advertisement

  4. toolaholic

    toolaholic General Contractor Carpenter

    Jul 16, 2005
    Repairing and remodeling homes
    Marin Co. Ca.
    I have an acct. with C L R ,GO TO THERE ON LINE CATALOG

    They will sell to you. They supply all the glass shops
Similar Threads: Replacement window
Forum Title Date
Remodel Forum & Blog Window replacement plus house settling Nov 20, 2016
Remodel Forum & Blog Residential vinyl window replacement: Fairfield 70 Series Oct 30, 2012
Remodel Forum & Blog Time for window replacement Sep 26, 2012
Remodel Forum & Blog Window repair and residential glasss replacement Jul 19, 2012
Remodel Forum & Blog Condensation on new replacement windows, Why? Nov 19, 2008

Share This Page