Replacement water softener - opinions?

Users who are viewing this thread

Ameli0rate

Reaction score
I'm ready to replace my extremely old WEHS40 softener.

The place I've settled on based on reviews, looking at their installs, word of mouth and personal interaction, is selling me a 45000 grain unit, Empress tank. Clack valve. Easily services, parts available everywhere, easily disassembled and inexpensive parts, it's filled with 1.5 cu f of 10% crosslinked resin - this is installed for just shy of $1700.

Tank has lifetime warranty, valve has 10 year warranty, the shop gives me a full 3 year parts and labor on everything (I think I got these numbers right)

They also have an RO kitchen device for a bit less than $500 installed (I believe install was $150 and the rest is the cost of unit). This would replace the Costco bottled water and the Brita filter in the fridge. I'm not sure if the ROI on this is reasonable, but it would eliminate both Costco water and Brita filter and make it easier on the coffee maker and kettle too. I'm on the fence about this and don't know if these are "all the same" and I can pick one up for far cheaper and install it myself.

We don't need a charcoal filter as we have very little chlorine in the city water, but it's hard as hell, thus the new softener and on-demand regeneration.

The installer will also do a simple water test to tell me what the water status is, and what to adjust the softener to.

So all that said, have I overlooked anything before I commit? The price looks really good (I'm not even counting Culligan/RainSoft!), the parts look really good, the installer has a stellar reputation.

I can't find the Fleck 5800 series online, nor can I see the Clack ones anywhere, so I think I am unable to save any money here unless I just failed to find the right place.

Bannerman

Reaction score
Fleck has recently changed their sales policy for their newest valves including the 5800 series. Similar to Clack, they are not sold to online dealers but only to dealers who install and service the products they sell.

Too many online dealers were not fulfilling their obligation to assist or support their clients, instead, often telling their clients to contact Fleck or Clack for assistance.

Ameli0rate

Reaction score
Thanks, that explains why my Google-fu appeared to have abandoned me.
I'll PM Dittohead for reputable online vendors and see what that gives me.

One thing to consider is that it's actually my girlfriend's house, and she has no interest in these things. She comes from a family of nesters so she's also unlikely to ever leave the house. That makes me think that there's a bit of a value to her being able to pick up the phone and calling a local company for service/warranty issues if I'm for some reason out of the picture.
Of course, if an online equivalent system can be had for $800 less, that's a couple of service calls worth of savings.

Fleck has recently changed their sales policy for their newest valves including the 5800 series. Similar to Clack, they are not sold to online dealers but only to dealers who install and service the products they sell.

Too many online dealers were not fulfilling their obligation to assist or support their clients, instead, often telling their clients to contact Fleck or Clack for assistance.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks