Replacement shower handles advice

Users who are viewing this thread

Blandis

Reaction score
Long time follower first time poster.

Wife and I purchased a home built in 1938. Will work over the next year or so to remodel the vast majority of the home.

Little background to explain how we ended up where we are.

We have a bath that needs replacement handles. Both sides were leaking and the cold had a constant drip. Got them apart, cleaned everything well. New washer and cold no longer leaks/drips. Also got the stems to stop leaking by using teflon tape on all threads combined with a light coat of rector t plus 2. I have never seen a set of stems like these so dug in cautiously. Assumed there was a rubber oring or washer that had just totally rotted. My lucky week so far.

Looking to replace the handles as they all three are stripped and the threaded compression sleeves are broken off and will not stay on the stem. Previous owner looks to have used some sort of glue on them which caused the threaded sleeves to break off when I was working them off. We are remodeling the bath in the next 6 months or so but cant find these type handles to save my rear.

The hot stem will take a handle that can screw through the end of handle. Not sure if you can see but the cold side is not drilled and tapped on the end. So not sure what else would work outside of the splined compression handle n that one.

Any budget fixes for these? Or cheap replacement handles. Dont care what they look like just so the work as bath will be gutted come winter. Could glue them again but trying to avoid anything permanent'ish in the event I have to tear into them again between now and when we remodel.

Thank you in advance for any and all help. Stay safe.

Brad

Attachments

• IMG-2704.JPG
    IMG-2704.JPG
    43.2 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG-2698.JPG
    IMG-2698.JPG
    54.2 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG-2697.JPG
    IMG-2697.JPG
    46.7 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG-2695.JPG
    IMG-2695.JPG
    48 KB · Views: 156

Blandis

Reaction score
Reach appreciate the reference. Those will work on the hot as it screws through the end. The cold is not drilled and threaded through the end to mount these. Has a cone drill out on the end so cold contiue that and tap it. Shower is not drilled at all.

Zero clue what the universal come with and how many different ways they can mount. Assuming big box stores have those readily available and can swing in tomorrow and grab a set.

Attachments

• IMG-2708.JPG
    IMG-2708.JPG
    41.1 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG-2706.JPG
    IMG-2706.JPG
    35.7 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG-2705.JPG
    IMG-2705.JPG
    32.6 KB · Views: 148

Reach4

Reaction score
Zero clue what the universal come with and how many different ways they can mount. Assuming big box stores have those readily available and can swing in tomorrow and grab a set.
I have seen them with a set screw that comes in from the side to hold an adapter in place. Then the knob is made to grab the adapter.

Blandis

Reaction score
Reach that set you linked is what i picked up at HD. Under $15 for a pair. That universal set still has to have a center stem bolt to mount.

I ended up drilling and tapping the cold so made it work. Back up and running. Really appreciate the assistance.

Next is expansion tank later this week for hot water heater. Waiting on small brass nipple and will be ready to tackle that job.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks