Replacement parts for Peerless shower faucet?

Users who are viewing this thread

tracyballard

Reaction score
I've got an old peerless shower faucet that started leaking recently, dripping/streaming pretty steadily out of the spout. This is the type of peerless/delta one handle valve that turns up and down in a slot to increase water flow, and left to right to turn from hot to cold. I got one of the kits to replace the o-rings and plastic parts, and I did that, using some silicone grease to lube the parts up, but now it's still leaking from the spout, and also from the white plastic piece on the nose of the large piece that screws on to the wall pipe part when I turn on the water (where the diamond shaped handle sticks out). But what seems really odd is that there's no cartridge type item that I would expect, just a big empty spot. All there is in place is the metal ball and the plastic piece that mates with the metal ball, behind that nothing. Is that normal? It's been like that for 10 years since we moved in, so I'm wondering if this is right or not. If so should I just get a whole new faucet/valve set from home depot or something like that? The big part that is attached to the hot and cold pipes with the large diameter threads seems quite solid and steady, so I guess I would just need the parts from there on out. thanks in advance!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Inside the valve there are two rubber "seats with springs under them, that the ball presses against. THEY are what you have to change to stop the leaking. There is also a rubber "cone" that goes under the white thing, unless you have one of the new ones with both pieces integrated into a single unit, which is unlikely.

tracyballard

Reaction score
none of that stuff was in there, so I went to see if I could get a replacement set that would screw directly on to the threaded flange sticking out of the wall (seems to measure 1 & 5/8 inch). Nobody in town carried this brand that I can find, at least not walmart, home depot or sutherlands. I guess I will have to order a replacement on the internet. Will anything made for Peerless screw right on to the present flange I have?

tracyballard

Reaction score
No, since I'm not a plumber, just a simple auto mechanic, I don't really know what I'm doing. but I am going to attempt to fix this. The main issue is that the kits have springs included, but when I took this apart there were no springs in there on the old unit. Sorry, but since I've never taken one of these apart before, I just don't know if that is normal or not. I'm going to try to find some videos to watch and see if I can figure it out, but I do now have all the parts I should need to rebuild this unit according to the local plumbing supply shop. If anyone can chime in to try to give me a few tips or point me to a good tutorial video I would really appreciate it.

tracyballard

Reaction score
yes, now that I get down below the level of the valve body (which is pretty low) and look in there with a flashlight I can see them. thanks, and problem fixed.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks