Replacement of Tub

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
I have a tub that needs to be replaced and 1st of I need to know if this is an Alcove tub or a drop in tub?

2ndly what kind of tools do I need?

Also what's the best reference online to follow for this?

Below are links to pictures of my tub. The server here keeps saying the pictures are too large so here are links to them...

crivello-03.jpg
crivello-04.jpg
crivello-05.jpg
crivello-06.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Weekend Handyman

Reaction score
I think you need to read a plumbing book. Creative Homeowner: Ultimate Plumbing is a good one. Then, I would watch every bath tub installation video on YouTube, keeping in mind some of them are just plain wrong. Once you read/watch enough you will develop a sense of who knows what they are talking about and who does not.

I think you are going to have to demo the tile shower surround too.

Once you do your homework and have a plan you should come back with any questions you may have.

It you take a further out picture we can tell you what kind of tub it is.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Looks like a cast iron tub. You can cut those with a Diablo blade, or use a sledge hammer on it, assuming you covered it with plastic sheeting to prevent the shrapnel from cutting you, and have lot's of protection, eye, hands and body. Basically shards of glass.
The surround will need to be cut back. The tub is 60" long, with tile and backer board hanging over it preventing a lift out until it's removed.

mateer-02.jpg

Reaction score
Looks like a cast iron tub. You can cut those with a Diablo blade, or use a sledge hammer on it, assuming you covered it with plastic sheeting to prevent the shrapnel from cutting you, and have lot's of protection, eye, hands and body. Basically shards of glass.
The surround will need to be cut back. The tub is 60" long, with tile and backer board hanging over it preventing a lift out until it's removed.
What do you mean by shrapnel ...sharp objects flying?

Reaction score
Website
www.obamatheplumber.com
We often work on tubs, here we are disconnecting the drain from the tub. Homeowner was a little confused so we went at it slow. I was telling him that the tile should come out and a new tub should be installed. The drain was a bit wonky, and really this is the hard way to do it. My apprentice got the tough end of it here.

tub-ptrap-install-dean.jpg

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
The safest way to remove a cast iron tub would be to cut it up with a saw. An angle grinder is probably the easiest and least expensive way with a diamond blade. Absolutely wear eye protection with a full face shield along with a fan or shop vac for the dust. A sawzall works too, but you need specialized blades and they cost a fortune. I would cut off the front apron first, then cut about 1/3rd of the way from the drain side. A full tub weighs about 250-300 pounds.

cast-iron-tubs-cut.jpg

Breaking them up with a sledgehammer is very dangerous as all of the enamel is as sharp as glass and will fly everywhere.

Elon Musk the Plumber

In the Trades
Reaction score
I lift the tub in place using microwave technology. It's like floating the tub up, and then it can be guided outward and down stairs and hallways.
I do agree though that more tile needs to be removed.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I guess YouTube? but looks like pressed steel not cast to me. in anycase I don't always heed my own advice but definitely prepare as Terry said whether tile or the tub bits of metal and or glass fly off fast and broke tile can be razor sharp

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks