Replacement of single handle shower valve with no rear access

Users who are viewing this thread

Dhmh

Reaction score
I have a problem. I have an older American Standard single handle shower valve that is leaking. I would like to replace the valve with a more updated model. The problem is there is no rear access to it. The main bathroom shower is directly behind the shower I’m working with. My only choice, is to cut fiberglass and find some kind of larger trim piece to cover new kit. Any recommendations?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Look up remodel plate. They come in numerous styles and shapes. They are designed specifically for what you are trying to do. They give you enough space to do it from inside the tub/shower. Then, you install the valve's trim to it. Lots of companies make these. While not required, you might want to get one from the same company that makes the valve you install. https://www.amazon.com/s?k=remodel+...038158&tag=googhydr-20&ref=pd_sl_7rp026gm0w_b

Dhmh

Reaction score
Look up remodel plate. They come in numerous styles and shapes. They are designed specifically for what you are trying to do. They give you enough space to do it from inside the tub/shower. Then, you install the valve's trim to it. Lots of companies make these. While not required, you might want to get one from the same company that makes the valve you install. https://www.amazon.com/s?k=remodel+...038158&tag=googhydr-20&ref=pd_sl_7rp026gm0w_b
Thank you! This is what I was leaning towards and a Moen shower valve kit. Just wanted to make sure I was on the right track.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Moen TL2368EP works well for that.

tl2368ep_repair_5.jpg

tl2368ep-terrylove-04.jpg

tl2368ep-terrylove-03.jpg

This replaced a 1960's American Standard valve.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks