Replacement Drain Basket for this part?

Users who are viewing this thread

LCF

Reaction score
I was hoping someone might know which replacement part I can buy for the old drain basket I removed? It was leaking and in bad shape as you can see in the photos. I bought one to try (also photographed) but it wouldn't thread on past a half turn so I think the threads are different. I appreciate any help. Thanks.

20210817_132230.jpg 20210817_132225.jpg20210817_132849.jpg

20210817_132849.jpg

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Looks like a standard part from the solvent weld tub waste and overflows. Any hardware store should have that.
Course threads for threading into plastic, the finer threads for threading into brass.

watco_innovator.jpg

LCF

Reaction score
Thanks Terry. I tried both local hardware stores and neither had anything like it. I might need to buy one online.

LCF

Reaction score
Thank you for the replies! I am still very stuck and running out of time to fix this drain.

I just went to FW Webb and they couldn't even help me. They tried every drain in the store and told me that they don't have any that I can use to fix mine. They opened up every kit in their store but they only sold coarse thread. I have tried 4 drains now and none fit. Any advice or part numbers would be great. I may have to re-putty this and put it back in as I have family visiting next weekend.

Also, looking at the chart Marlinman posted, my existing drain has 1.86" OD and 11.5 thread.

Last edited:

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Look at the diagram Terry posted.

You need parts 5, 6 and 7 - from a kit.
#5 is your flange - goes in from above the tub
#6 is the gasket - goes under the tub
#7 is the shoe - goes under the tub.

How is your access under the tub?

Reach4

Reaction score
Also, looking at the chart Marlinman posted, my existing drain has 1.86" OD and 11.5 thread.
I would think that you would use a thread gauge to measure the thread pitch. 1.86" OD and 11.5 thread could be 1.5 NPSM or NPT.

Alternatively press the thread into something -- even soft wood-- and measure the peak to peak distance for as many threads as you can. If you have x threads (counting both ends) and y distance measured, the pitch in tpi (threads per inch) would be (x-1)/y.

LCF

Reaction score
Unfortunately I can only replace the part I removed from above. The shoe is buried in the ceiling of my newly licensed commercial kitchen below. I am trying to fix just the faulty part. It was just the flange that caused the leak and it was damaged when I removed it so I would like a replacement rather than puttying and reinstalling.

LCF

Reaction score
I put the drain back in from the top as a temporary fix so that my family can visit. I am planning on remodeling these old bathrooms in the coming years so I a bandaid will suffice for now. These old houses are great but what were they thinking when they buried these things in places with no access? I will be sure to fix that during the remodel.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks