Replacement Anode in Rheem heater

Users who are viewing this thread

TomD

Reaction score
I want to install an aluminum/zinc anode in my Rheem heater. The parts lists for my heater, from the Rheem website, says that for my heater the anode is 34-3/8". Every anode I see online is much longer and I don't find them for my length. Can I simply cut a longer rod for my specific length?

Reach4

Reaction score
Yes.

You may need an impact wrench to get the old one out.

Use PTFE tape on the new anode. The threads will cut thru the tape to provide the needed electrical connection. You don't need or want to torque the new anode nearly as much as the original took to remove it.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
I just took out a rod from a brand new electric rheem heater and it was in there so
tight it took one guy to hold the heater in place while I fought like hell to get the rod out....

they are not easy especially after being in the heater for a few years in service to mess with

ApexStar

Reaction score
I have coupe of GE (Rheem manufactured) 12 year water 20 gallon heaters that are aging on year #8 now. Each unit is supposed to have dual anode rods. Never had any rods replaced all these years.

Past couple of weeks starting to having a chemical smell with the hot water. I suspect will need the anode rods replaced.

What is typical/approx cost range, especially for labor to get this replacement done? Have to assses the cost with full unit replacement or moving to tankless.

I am in the DFW metroplex. Any recommended plumbers from the area and if they are also active on this forum?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks